How to bring tender, sore lips back to life?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by madmattm, Dec 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    p

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    You are asking if there is a good substitute for rest and for time to heal.
    There isn't.

Dean

3. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    p

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I personally drink a LOT of water, use chapstick (or chopsaver), and play a lot of pedal notes, they always loosen and relax my lips, then another key for me is to make sure I get good sleep. On thursday night our jazz band had a big rehearsal, and this one Gordon Goodwin piece, Jazz Police we must have played about four times, burned out our lead player and a few others in the section, the trombones were feeling it too, and on friday we had to play at the pep rally. Most of us had exhausted chops, as we had a concert the wednesday before, and a rehearsal the previous night, so of course you could hear we were tired, but personally my chops never really burned out, or had that bruised feeling you talk of. Its kinda a simple formula of a lot of water, chapstick, and pedal tones,but it loosens my lips up, and make them feel a lot better. Personally my chops always are a bit bruised from the braces , but they always bounce back after only a day of rest, or easy practice. However as you very well know, a day of rest will probably do the best for them, if thats possible for you. After full days of rehearsal, football games, and competitions during marching band season, it was the only way and easiest way to bring my chops back for the next day so I could practice the solos I was working on, and then be back full swing for the next week of hard work, practice and then competition day all over again......

however, like chasefan implements, the only way to bring them back is rest and healing time

just my .02 cents

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I play alot and have done it for decades and never got bruised lips. This shouldn't be happening. Then again "alot" is relative.
    Just be careful not to hurt yourself or we'll send a gaggle of out of tune clarinet players to your house to play really bad renditions of christmas carols for christmas.

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Too Bad!!! You, lucky to be playing so much, So of a Gun!!

Really, rest for a day play lightly the next day. Congratulations on your pain.......I meant gain.

7. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    d

8. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    if you don't warm down put a cold can of soda or an ice cube on your lips for a few minutes, helps me after football games

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Not playing is the way to heal. Take a day, or even half a day completely away from the trumpet, physically and mentally. If you keep playing a little here and there to test it out, it'll take longer to feel normal again. Part two is to figure out why you're getting so beaten up, and fix that too!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your chops are talking to you, then listen. Something about your playing is "too much". That can be quantity, mix, pressure or too little (or too poor) practice for what you are trying to accomplish.

I think that you can now answer the question for yourself. Water is one of the basic elements of life. That is why astronomers look for planets with it. There is a message there, somewhere!