How to build range while avoiding injury?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Pete,

To my surprise, the problem hasn't really been bad habits. I never use too much pressure; if I can't hit a note without jamming the mouthpiece into my face I won't go for it. I also breathe correctly, and don't create too much tension in my throat, face, etc. The core of the problem really is just chop weakness, due purely to overdoing it in the upper register (it's not a permanent thing, as I can rebuild my range for short periods of time before overdoing it accidentally).

That being said, you have the right idea on practice. For the past few days after recovering from my last mini-injury I've been doing just that - practicing range (not overdoing it this time :) ) and mixing in things like clarke studies and playing soft ballads to relax while still building. I'm making sure to take breaks when needed, using the "Rest as long as you play" idea for each set of exercises I do (lip slurs, arpeggios for range, soft stuff, improv being the main "sets" of exercises). Balanced practice seems to be working great for me!

2. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Great post once again! Haha. Tons of people forget that at my age (the OP's age included) that we play for fun, not to make a living yet. So if it becomes to much like a job then the guy that just flat out loves playing will always pass you up. I personaly think that most of the big time players (past and present) got to where they are NOT because they were "prodigies". I think it was more of they had a obsessive drive for something and they worked hard to get what they wanted, becaused they loved playing trumpet....and ok maybe a shade of natural ability.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ABSOLUTELY! Never work range on tired chops... or you will be defeated.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT, you are getting wiser and wiser every day. Cat Anderson would also agree with you:

Roddy Trumpet: Sound Clips

5. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I just want to clarify that I absolutely love playing trumpet. And it's for this very reason that I get so angry when I work on something and I get the opposite result. It's not fun to be getting worse at something you really love. But no, it's not like I force myself to practice, and have the "I have to practice this, even though I hate it" mindset. Not at all.

6. aaronwoolley1

aaronwoolley1 New Friend

Dec 24, 2011
    LA
    Maggio exercise works. Half of it is basically a warm down. Speaking of warming down... Make sure you get a nice warm up... Also make sure that you warm down after playing your entire range. It's like stretching before and after a run in order to not get cramps. Icing your lips after a strenuous gig, or a hard practice also helps. I've heard to stay away from the product "chop saver," but I haven't tried it for myself.

Let me know if any of these work for you. They work for me and some of my colleagues.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and Cat Anderson also did long tones ---- and the 20 minute G's -- which I have been doing since the first year of my comeback --and have posted a lot about the 20 minute G's on TM ---- YOU SEE GM, I have always been wise, it's just that FINALLY YOU RECOGNIZE THAT --- must be the new glasses you got the other day!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Yet another reason not to sit in the front row. :noway:

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There was a prankster in the trumpet section :)shock::shock::shock:) who used to bring green grapes to class and crush them up and remove the skin. When the director was helping the clarinets (which was often), he would "sneeze" and zing a grape at random folks. Then he would feign shock and dismay and say quietly (but loud enough to be heard), "Where did that go"? Hilarious!!ROFL

GijsVis likes this.
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Umm, that's a bad habit! Surprise! If you are injuring yourself from playing and this has happened repeatedly, it's because you have developed a bad habit. We all have bad habits (except for Rowuk, Solar Bell, and Vulgano Brother :D). That's why there are teachers. There is no shame in 'fessing up to a bad habit. The shame is denying you have one when you clearly do.