How to build range while avoiding injury?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Sep 1, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    The first step in getting help is admitting that you have a problem!!!!
    T3197 --- you have taken the first step, "Hello T3197, my name is ken, and I used to have the same problem, and even now, I try not to push myself to the maximum high note limits -- but it is a DAILY struggle, thank you for stopping by and sharing with us --- most of us in this group have had the same problem ---- those of us who don't have this problem originally came from the w**dw**d sections of the planet, and don't really know their brass from their OBOE!!!!" ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Now you're giving me ideas.....

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's just the kinda guy I am! ;-)

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    here's some advice I'll share, in the form of an anecdote.
    Last year, I was playing 1st part all the time..in marching band, symphonic, and jazz too at one point. Well, my chops weren't really ready for that kind of strain, and bye bye high notes.
    This year, I'm on lower parts, and I've found that while playing 2nd in jazz (we only meet twice a week) I occasionally have a high e or f to play, and I can actually consistently hit them. I believe this is all due to what many others have said -- don't overdo it. To me, overdoing is playing too much, too frequently in the upper part of your range -- NOT just your very top notes, but perhaps your top fifth (e.g. if you can play a high E, from A to E).

I also now make sure to do good, solid warmups in the morning, a few hours before any playing might happen. This helps my lips get ready for the day, and reduces the likelihood of lip abuse.
    I agree with focusing on air studies (Clarke, Chicowicz(sp?), Flow Studies, etc) as they are the key to playing high notes without hurting yourself.

Best of luck!

kingtrumpet likes this.
  5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    For me, maintaining high range and not damaging my embouchure is just a matter of common sense - listen to your body and you'll know when to stop.