How to choose the rigth mouth piece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by _Lui Apprenti_, Jan 29, 2006.

1. _Lui Apprenti_

_Lui Apprenti_ New Friend

Jan 29, 2006
    I allways think abuot waht is the caracteristics of a good mouth piece because I have I feew mouth pieces of deferent numerber but I dont have the sound and comfort that I need. What I have to do to choose the correct one?

2. Sandovalic

Sandovalic New Friend

Jan 20, 2006
    Netherlands
    Go out to a musicstore you know and try every mouthpiece they have. make a selection of 3 or 4 mouthpieces of witch you think they suite you. If it is a good store you can try them at home for a while. Make your dicision based on your own judgement, try not to look at brand or comments by a salesman. Use commen sense, and know that it is 'just' a mouthpiece. The most important thing behind the horn are your own lips.....

Good Luck

Olaf

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's good advice, to try many at one time. What you have to look for is is how freely the mouthpiece lets you play, good intonation, and how easy it is to go from low to high.

Of course, the sound is the most important after you find that you are comfortable.

Good luck, it's not easy to find the perfect mouthpiece.

ML

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And... once you pick one... stick with it for at least a month (two is better).

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    When i found mine, I spent a day at the Schilke factory Downtone Chicago try every size mouth piece in silver and goldplate until i came to find a 3C is best for me! Even though I didn't buy a Schilke Mouthpiece they still were nice enough to let me try all the sizes.