How to clean a gold-plated trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joshlalonde, Nov 10, 2011.

1. joshlalonde

joshlalonde New Friend

Nov 8, 2011
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a Van Laar Model B5 trumpet with a brushed-gold finish. Before that, I had a intermediate horn that I had started on with lacquer finish. As the two are considerably different (in both price and finish), I want to make sure that my new trumpet will last me for years to come as it came at a hefty price. My question is: How do I clean and maintain it?

I was told to wipe it down occasionally, but I'm not exactly sure HOW often I should. Also, I can't seem to get all the spit out of there before I put my trumpet away, so any tricks on emptying more spit out of there? Does it matter if I do or not?

Any tips, including an article you could find, would be appreciated. Sorry for the many questions I have, but I'm worried about losing the "new-trumpet" smell, if you get my jist.
    Again, the finish is gold-brushed over silver.

EDIT:
    Also, how and how often should I clean the trumpet... Are there any special instructions such as no soap or something bizarre like that? I'm really worried about my new trumpet! :(

Thanks!

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Just wipe it down with a clean micro fiber cloth after playing it and wash it once a month inside and out with warm water with a little Dawn or similar soft dishwashing liquid and dry with micro fiber cloth.

My bright gold Eclipse is now 3 years old and still looks like new except at the contact points on the 1st slide saddle and 3rd slide ring where the plating is worn through.

Keep in mind the gold is very thin, typically 4 microns over 10 microns of silver. 1 micron = 1/1000 of a millimeter.

Regards, Stuart.

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Several years ago I put my gold plated Eclipse MR in the acid bath. It left a really bad stain that took a lot of work to get out. Be careful of chemicals!

4. joshlalonde

joshlalonde New Friend

Nov 8, 2011
    Thank you for your quick replies :) This helped me greatly, and I'll be sure not to put my trumpet in acid... lol. :D TY!!

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Both Roy Lawler and Leigh McKinney recommended a non ammonia glass cleaner for the satin and scratched gold plated horns I had from them.

It worked great.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Leigh told me to use Methylated Spirits on my Scratched Gold Eclipse Flugel.

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Congrats on an AWESOME horn..:-D

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Swab your leadpipe AND tuning slide after you play/practice. Everytime!

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    ...or just be sure to rinse your mouth out well with water before you play.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :-P:-P