How to clean a gold-plated trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joshlalonde, Nov 10, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I second the bosses recommendation. I would stay away from ultrasound. Do you really want it working on your horn's braces?

2. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    The problem is this shop will not solder the brace I have loose on my gold horn without cleaning it through the ultrasound. Sigh... I'm not a big fan of ultrasound either, to be honest. The machine is on a timer and horn is in there for 6-8 minutes depending on the type of horn and finish. What scientific proof exists that ultrasound will change resonance or break a soldered brace? Ultrasound is used to look at your unborn child, and in triage to look at your heart and organs in a trauma situation in the hospital.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, and look at all the crazy kids that are being born today. Now we know why. Ultrasounds. And, for all those folks who had ultrasounds for organs. They eventually die. You know, back in the good old days....:-)

It probably won't hurt the horn. I'm just not a fan of ultrasonic cleaning. Personally, it sounds like a money making scheme for the repair shop. "We have to clean the horn well so the solder holds well." Yeah. Right. Horns have been soldered for years before ultrasonic cleaning was available. Hey, next time the guy pulls in to buy gas maybe the station should say they require you to get your car washed there before he can fill-er-up.

4. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    I hear yah...and totally agree. Kind felt shaken down a bit, but i also look at it this way...as long as my horn ain't damaged in that bath and they actually fix the brace right like I'm paying for it to be...I don't mind supporting a horn shop in town who does repairs and cleanings, rentals and all that. I'm happy they are in business. And the owner and me were like two giddy kids when I brought that Buescher cornet in there to show them. He couldn't wait to play it, and we did the whole slide swap to a tuner to see if it really played in C. I'm glad there are other people in the world who feel the same about trumpets as I do.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know your location, but I would look for another shop. Insisting on an ultrasonic when you don't want one, then holding the repair hostage... ! Not my horn(s)! Charlie Melk is the man for many players for restorations and he is hesitant to use ultrasonic on older horns due to the potential for damage. Soak it in Dawn, snake it, repair it, play it. It's a tough spot for you if you know the guy, but I still wouldn't do it.

6. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Hmm... that's three who wouldn't do it, including my reservations about it. There is no other shop anywhere near here. Where is Charlie Melk located?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Charlie Melk cleaned my '46 Olds Super (Ultrasonic), and now has my '25 Conn New York Symphony there for Ultrasonic cleaning (and a valve alignment).

If you can't trust Charlie, who can you trust? I trust him with all my horns! Damn nice guy too.

Kevin

9. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Are either of those horns gold plated?