How to create a nice tone ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    So you hear all the time people talking about having a nice tone to their style of playing.

I want to know, how do i work on creating a nice tone for myself?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Lots of easy long tones in the staff, lots of easy lip slurs, and IMO lots of tonguing exercises don't hurt either. In order to have a good sound you have to have good air control and focus, and the long tones, lip slurs (done correctly) and articulation exercises promote those.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    AIR. Plenty of it.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No. It's not about how much air, but rather how efficiently it's being used. If the chops aren't focused, blowing lots of air will do nothing to improve a persons tone. It's about balance and efficient use of air with focused chops, and that's more about how the player is controlling the air stream than it is about how much air is being moved. A phrase being played at pp requires a lot of air support, but uses very little air.

Kujo20 likes this.
  5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Ok, I'll rephrase: AIR SUPPORT, plenty of it.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    And you're still only part way there. A person can know how to support their air column and still have a crummy tone because they have poor chops focus - that isn't completely created by air support. Long tones and lip slurs help fine tune the embouchure towards chops focus, which then helps to create efficient use of a controlled air stream.

There are multiple parts that have to be in balance.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    True, but in my own experience, the best way to develop focus has been to challenge the chops with strong air support. I now have something more like a real air column and my playing has been opening up nicely, whereas I spent a lot of time before wondering what I was doing wrong. The key for me was air support.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'll add that strong air support has also allowed me to play more relaxed, and that greatly helps to find, and stay on the center of pitch. Also makes what I play now much more pleasant to hear than before.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    Let's say that Tone is the sum of a lot of different things that create a particular sound.
    No one knows what variables you bring to the table when you play so the situation is "How can you make the best tone with what you have?"
    --
    I would suggest three things but you'll need an imagination for it to work.

1) Play a soft long tone with your eyes closed and listen deeply to your sound.
    > Stop, Now play the same long soft tone with your eyes closed and "imagine" the sound growing out from your body. Not louder but "fatter."
    Remember, don't get louder, get fatter.
    2) When you play, imagine you're playing to someone. I recommend clipping a picture of someone to your music stand to look at when you do this. You can imagine that the person is as close as your music stand or a block away. The important thing is that you "send" the sound to someone. It really helps
    3)Breathing! Imagine (yep, again with the imagination thingy) there is a hole about the size of a tennis ball in the small of your back. When you inhale, imagine the air being sucked into the hole. How do you know if you're doing it correctly? The lower abdomen (around the belt area) will extend outward.
    I wouldn't try all three at once. Work on (1) and once you get the fat sound down, work on (2) then (3). If you honestly work on these variables a little every day, you'll be a happy camper by the time Easter gets here.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How to get a better sound? Find players better than you willing to play with you. There is no better way than that!