How to create a nice tone ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thanks guys for your help.

Im trying to do some breathing excerices at the moment to help.

Ill have a go with a few of your suggestions.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    We dont often agree, but that is it in a nut shell. I always play crappy with bad players, but get me into a group with a couple of pros and I am focused on being the best I can and it works. Usually relaxation and great air support work wonders, but throw in the pressure of massive embarasment and ITS ON.

3. larry tscharner

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Also...everything that Phil986 said.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---
    Playing with individuals who are significantly better as a means of getting better is always a good idea. It can be football, working in a lab, vollyball, you name it.
    However, there's a fly in the ointment with that idea.
    >If you lack fundimental skills, then people who have achieved this goal won't want to play with you. Yes, getting together with those who are better is a great idea, if they'll let you in. There's a saying that goes like this: "You're only as good as the dogs you hang with"

>Generally, we have to go through a period of imitation before we can get to innovation. Many never make it to innovation. They end up sounding like warmed over Ferguson or Miles until they die or quit playing. With that said, you have to develop and "OWN YOUR SOUND." If you go to a jam session and end up sounding like the other guy, then "YOU" need work.

>OK, so how can a person go through these phases in a way that allows a person who lacks a particular skill to develop? The old fashioned way. Play along with recordings. Lester Young did it, Coltrane did it, EVERYONE did/does it. I don't know anyone who hasn't learned alot from listening and learning to play a recording of their favorite musician.

5. larry tscharner

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Its a fact for me. Every time I play with a group of great players, I amaze myself. And I observe and ask questions if I can without inconviencing the pros. I have never been snubbed by a realy great player when I am trying sincerly to learn. The great players are not threatened by others trying to be better. The best advice I have gotten to date when asked "how"..."I dont know, I just do it and it happens." Best wishes.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Phil, how long have you been playing? Are you experienced, or are you still developing as a player? The reason I ask is because it sounds to me like you think you have it figured out - and you may have done exactly what you are saying a person should do - but there is a lot more going on than simply having good air support. I don't say this to try to complicate things - just to say that while air is certainly a big part of the equation, I believe other aspects need to be considered in a structured way, and if those things are done, not only will the air support develop, but the chops themselves will develop too.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I am only a year and half in a come back from being an adult learner when I was in my late 20's. I certainly do not claim to have it figured out and I definitely would like to think that I'm developing. Perhaps I should have included some caveats to my answer, but I still feel quite confident in giving that suggestion.

I know that the progress I have experienced in the past few months was something that I was desperately looking for back many years ago when I hit a seemingly endless plateau. I am doing things differently this time but the major difference has been my teacher's approach to breathing/air support/sound. Even though it's not performance ready yet, I am working on some of Arban's characteristic studies, something that I never had the means to do before. More importantly, the quality of pitch has changed significantly.

I am sure that I will run into these other aspects you mention (at least I hope I get to that point) but if anyone asks me what is the single most important factor to develop a good tone, my experience can not let me say anything else than air support. That's not to say that there are not other aspects, which are also important. From what I've gone through, I just firmly believe that, in isolation, not one of them can be as crucial as air support.

Of course you could say that no part works in isolation and that what really matters is to get it all to work together, in fact I think you said that earlier. That is entirely right. However, sound is produced by lips made to vibrate by moving air. Without that airflow, nothing can happen.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well....yeah - that's kind of what I've been saying the whole time. I believe I stated it:

Air support is important and it promotes efficiency and focus, but it's not the only thing that has to be considered and there are other things that can be looked at as a way to attain efficiency and focus that will indirectly also help with air support - you can't articulate well or do lip slurs well without it.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long tones, lips slurs, octave leaps (for flexibility),multiple tonguing, air support, proper breathing, having a focused aperture but still relaxed so the lips vibrate freely------AND here is a big thing, at least for me, that is "feeling" your lips vibrate.
    To me there is a certain "harmonic" feel where my lips seem to vibrate and "feel" good, and that is where the Voice of my trumpet is at it's best --- I guess you could say ---That is MY sound.

that's kind of an esoteric, unscientific way to explain that -- but that is when the trumpet is singing to me -- when the lips are vibrating in harmony ---- and that didn't happen overnight -- at least for me.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Great advice!!!:play:

My own sound is always better (for a while) right after lessons ... When your teacher is the principal trumpet in your local symphony, you'll be hearing a BIG sound in lessons. My sound automatically gets bigger every time he domonstrates and we do some line of music together.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011