How to deal with pimples while playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 21, 2012.

1. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I had a horrible and i mean horrible Whitehead pimple about 4 days ago... And it was so painful when i played i had to stop for the whole day. This continued in jazz band the following day when we had to do individual performances, my band director did in fact give me the option to take it next class, but i told him no that i would be fine. By the time my performance came around the pain had lessened to where i can play a G above the staff without to much pain. But any note after that such as a G# i would begin to hurt again. I kept my range down for that whole day and by the time the next day came around it stopped hurting and before i knew it i obtained my Double G Range back just yesterday actually. But i want to know if there is a easy way to help the pain or lessen it if you have a performance coming up? Like a quick healing process? I popped it and i guess it helped... But it took quite a bit of time. I'm just lucky i didn't have a Marching band Performance that day. So you're valuable input will help me greatly guys! Thank you!

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    The search function is a powerful tool, we have a plethora of threads devoted to this subject. Many of these have advice from professional players and doctors, (or both!). You might want to search for this BEFORE devoting a whole new thread to it, it will save us and you a lot of time.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pop it! Squeeze gently and flick the "remains" into the woodwinds. [​IMG]

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You will need the pinky ring so you can hold the trumpet with one hand whilst following toby's suggestion.

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I once had to perform two days in a row with a pimple smack in the middle of the upper lip. Result? It started bleeding the second performance, and now 2 years later I still get a sharp pain on my lip if I play for too long. I may have some semblance of an ingrown hair... I dunno.

So, I might suggest you let it heal before you play it all, because a lip injury from a pimple can be in a completely different league from other lip injuries. If you have to perform before it heals, get a sub.

7. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I am very sorry. I was just getting a question addressing my personal own perception of my issue. Again i will keep that in mind though.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I sometimes get little white heads, Closed Comedones as opposed to black heads (open ones) around my lip if I let the area get dry and chapped and sometimes if i use lipsil, chopsaver or any other lipstick type lip balm I get them anyway. I have switched to using vaseline with aloe vera as a lip barrier cream and so far (three years now) so good.

Hope this helps

A

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Eww.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Pop it - get rid of the pressure. Advice on this is going to run the range, and a lot of it is going to be along the lines of leaving it alone. Over the years I've gotten these on occasion - usually right on the ridge of the red, and right under the mouthpiece. I just squeezed out the gunk and went about my business. I never had a detrimental effect from it. If all else fails and you've got a bit of inflammation, Blistex in a tube is still my preference. (and yes, I've tried ChopSaver and Burt's)