How to develop sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Steve A, Feb 25, 2008.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Ya, Now sounds like a good time to "rediscover" the 13 :lol:

2. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    MJ,
    We had the first Shostakovich 7 rehearsal today and I don't think I'll the 13 A4A. My Schilke piccolo with my 10 1/2 E seems to be working perfectly. What I really love is the big sound I'm getting on it. It's HUGE!!!!
    Andrew

3. MJ

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    :lol:

4. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    What's so funny? You should ask Tiscione about last summer when I used my picc to play the opening of Tchaik 4. Now that was huge!
    A.

5. Tiscione

Tiscione New Friend

Feb 16, 2005
    ATL
    You know, I was wondering why you were using picc on the Tchaik - I just thought you were using it becuase you couldn't play out of the staff on a C trumpet. What a relief! You were using it for artistic and huge sound purposes! ;-)

6. MJ

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Tiscione, Were you on pic as well. :D

7. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    I wasn't sure if Tiscione was on picc or kazoo. It's hard to tell with him sometimes.
    A.

8. Tiscione

Tiscione New Friend

Feb 16, 2005
    ATL
    Actually, I am gonna take that as a compliment, amtrpt. Usually I sound like a flugel, regardless of what instrument I play.

We are playing Tchaik 4 this week down here - should I suggest to Tom that we break out the piccs?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  9. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I think the most important part of developing a good sound is having a good teacher whose sound you can imitate.

You can listen to recordings and go to concerts, but things sound very different from behind the bell in person. You really just can't get the same experience hearing great trumpet sound unless it's in person and sitting right next to you... And if you're sitting next to Bud/Chris Martin/whoever outside of a lesson context, you probably don't need much help developing your sound anyways :-p

10. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Tiscione,
    Far be it from me to give you advice, but I will anyway. If I were you I would try it on Didjareedoos. They have a great sound that I think will really go well in your hall. Plus I think that Spano will really dig it.

Andrew