How to feel like an idiot, or how to reassemble a chinese horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by leftmid7, May 31, 2011.

1. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    So I bought a cheap pocket trumpet for a long weekend trip where I still needed to practice and only had a carry-on. I just look at it as a practice tool, but it really has a fairly decent tone for what it is.

Anyway, I decided to de-gunk all the brown machine oil build-up you get on those valves, brush out the casings, just get the valves moving as fast as possible on the thing.

Get them all back in, cleaned and oiled up, and am pretty happy with the action. Put the horn to my lips and ffffffffffffffft. I take the valves out, make sure I have them in order, put them back in and still nothing, blocked.

Getting mad, I started thinking what if the plastic tabs on this cheap piece somehow got out of alignment and now how I am going to get the holes lined up. Checked those out and they seem ok. Now I go through and put one valve in at a time making sure the holes line up, or what looks like lining up, get to the 3rd valve and wham-o, blocked.

Get so irritated, I set the horn before I throw it through the window and don't come back to it til the next day.

Then on a whim I put the 3 valve in the 1 and vice versa and voila, it works just fine. So...anyone with a chinese horn make sure you check whether they numbered the valves in reverse, lol. ROFL

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    THAT'S FUNNY!! Wish I had been a fly on the wall for that one! Maybe 3 means 1 in Chinese!?ROFLROFL

3. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi All,

Aw, don't feel too bad about it. I tried out a Jupiter 1600i at a local store. I thought that oiling the valves first would be a good thing. I put the valves back in and put the horn to my lips for a mighty blast. Darn near blew my eardrums out. It seems that Jupiter valve casings have the large and small guide slots reversed from Yamaha! I felt like a total prat in front of the somewhat amused salesman :-)

Cheers,

Brian

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    干得好 !

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    滑稽!!

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    谢谢 !!!

7. leftmid7

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    what the heck, are you guys really saying something or just joking around?

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Translation : Bravo ! / Funny !! / Thank you !!!

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    More seriously now : that's quite unusual, even among cheap chinese horns ; on the old pocket trumpet I own, made in the People's Republic of China, valves are normally numbered !

10. leftmid7

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    They ARE numbered, but I only checked AFTER I had taken them out and then assumed(you know what that does ;)) they went in 1, 2, 3. They go in 3, 2, 1, 3 being closest to the mouthpiece.