How to find out if an instrument is stolen

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Oct 2, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I just got an instrument off Ebay at WAY go good of a price. It is apparently new. I have checked some of the online databases with the serial number and have not turned up anything. How can I make sure?

2. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    Contact the manufacture, sometimes they are reported stolen when you try to register them.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, FedEx me the horn and I'll check it out for you... If you don't get it back, consider it stolen.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Tell me a musical instrument manufacturer who will testify in Court that an instrument is stolen! I don't know of any manufacturer who maintains an infallible data base of consumer sales. The tradition of most musical instrument sales is via local dealerships where the sale is transacted by mode of a simple register receipt of the amount paid that lacks the imbedded exact identity of an individual instrument mostly even moreso less than a quart/litre of milk that the register scan now denotes the brand / bottling distributor of. Too, there is no international data base of the serial numbers of musical instruments. Perhaps there should be, but then governments would be assessing personal property tax on them as they now do on motor vehicles.