How to flutter tongue if you can't roll your R's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Pie Girl

Pie Girl New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    I need to play a solo where I need to flutter tongue, but I can't roll my R's. Is there a technique to produce a similar effect?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    All I can say is just keep practicing. I really could not do it for a long time (years), and made do by using a growl from the throat.

But my wife is Bulgarian, and now I find that I can roll my R's at call. With the growl from the throat it is the Dirtiest flutter tongue around.

Try using a growl to cover the immediate requirement - but hang in there and keep trying to roll those Rs.

Minnie the Moocher is one that will help you. Listen to some of the best plunger players to get the sound in your head, then the brain will make that sound happen for you.

Snookie, Cootie, Clark Terry, Cat Anderson are some of the best plunger players

CHICAGO BLUES BROTHERS - Minnie The Moocher - YouTube
    Cootie
    On the Street Where You Live - Cootie Williams - YouTube Cootie Williams Quintet - Lil' Darling - YouTube Here is a good thread: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f133/plunger-solos-65666.html

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi piegirl,
    Flutter tonguing is really easy if you don't go into too much analysis.
    Try this:
    Pretend to be a snare drum and make this sound like a snare drum in a parade.
    rrrrrrrr r-r-r rrrrrrrrrr r-r-r rrrrrrrrrrrrr just like a snare drum. You'll notice that the secret is a loose tongue(especially the tip).
    Also, I like potato chips. Can you say rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruffles have rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdiges?
    If so, you can do it. just think ruffles have ridges when you play.
    Hope this helps.
    Dr.Mark

4. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks Peter. Something to check out while I eat my RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrufles!!

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Don't forget to brush your teeth after all those chips before practicing your flutter tongue:-)

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    A couple of things to try Pie Girl...

Rolling your tongue for vocals is different to and harder than fluttering. If you put your tongue behind your top teeth with some light pressure and blow air out it will flutter.

Learning to roll your tongue will let you control the flutter better. Google for vocal tips on how to roll your tongue. Like you, I couldn't roll my tongue and wanted to learn how to do this for some Italian arias that I was working on with my singing teacher. It took a couple of months to develop, but there are plenty of suggested exercises. Find what works for you.

An alternative for some pieces might be to "growl". For me this took longer to develop that fluttering, but you can produce a wider range of effects with a growl - from a completely chopped up stream of notes to a gentle modulation.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  8. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Maybe you could hang out with more Scottish folk :-)

9. Pie Girl

Pie Girl New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    I can't do any of those things >.< I've managed to emulate a sorta flutter tongue sound by doing a weird tongue flailing thing. I have to perform the solo tomorrow, and only had 3 days to work on it so I guess it's the best I can do.

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    3 days - well you do your best with what skills you have - and they are probably better than the person sitting next to you. Good Luck.

BTW it takes many, many repetitions to get these things under your belt. Keep practicing even after tomorrow.

Don't forget to tell us how it goes.