How to flutter tongue if you can't roll your R's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    You are probably more aware than I was when I learned to shake, but the shake works easier if you shake towards your teeth and out, not left and right. And- there's probably not a proper way.

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1. It feels obvious once you've made a breakthrough, but you have to turn around beliefs that you can't do it.

This can be tough for us Aussies (see Peter's posts). We grow up learning to Walk Like A Man - rolling one's R's is considered not manly :-)

3. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
  4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Frankly, I'm wondering if associating it with language is not a mistake.

I had to learn how to use the "R" tongue differently as I was learning German, so I have some experience with that. I think it's different than rolling the "R"s for playing. When you use it in language, you are using it with the vocal cords and you are also attaching it to other letters of the alphabet. You have more things in play when you roll "R's in language. For playing all it is, is the expellation of air interrupted slightly by the tongue.

KISS. ;-)

5. Jacob Waddell

Jacob Waddell New Friend

Sep 1, 2017
    Maryland
    Would you say that being able to flutter tongue is a necessary skill when playing professionally?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Jacob!

Flutter-tonguing is useful and even necessary sometimes, but it's seldom found in professional auditions (unless you are going for a big band solo chair, and then, maybe).

7. N1684T

N1684T Piano User

Jun 28, 2016
    "As regards the flutter, I'd try taking a deep breath (no instrument involved here), letting the tongue hand loosely in the middle of the mouth and then releasing that inhaled air forcefully around it (the tongue). Even if only slightly at first, I'd be surprised if you can't feel it fluttering. That is the beginning of learning how to flutter the tongue. Now push the tongue down slightly and you might feel it fluttering even more, especially at the tip. Don't know whether that helps anyone."

This definitely helped me. Thanks!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When I was a kid, flutter tonguing was a necessity. Since the guns for playing army that made noise were expensive, and some of us only had sticks, learning to make a B-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-T sound was critical for your stick gun to sound legit. Some of our weaponry looked better than what could be bought! I've never had trouble with it and am the only one in band that can do it. Flutter tongue and a growl sounds really cool!