How to get big sound in upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tobias014, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Sethoflagos likes this.
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why is it that most seem to tense when they attempt to play high ... and then just seem to "squirt" / "wisp" those notes out? Too, so often I observe added left elbow pressure that causes the lips to fill those shallow mouthpiece cups. and distort the tone. IMO if at 4/4 one cannot produce a pair of tied whole notes up there, they've no business to be up there ... yet. Honestly, I don't try with a normal Bb trumpet ... I change to my Schilke P5-4 picc and such is not to say I haven't then transposed many high violin and C piccolo parts for it.

3. Tobias014

Tobias014 New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    I'm pretty sure its just a playing issue and not a mouthpiece issue.

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    JNINWI, I've been working on the high register, and your dissertation was the most lucid thing I've seen on the topic.

Thank you, sir!

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    You still have to make the note with your aperture- you have to MASTER the note. And yes, you need faster air- that is essential.

But, I also agree that it is a MP issue- sorry Gmonady. I think what you want is a Commercial sound to the high note, but a big, rich MP will give you a big, rich, dark double A...I can play just as high on my Warburton 1MD as my custom ACB 14a4 type MP (OK, maybe one note difference), but the higher range sounds tepid on the 1MD because its really a big, rich Legit MP, that has no real compression zing like the 14a4 cup (we call it zozzle in my parts).

6. Tobias014

Tobias014 New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    I'm not using my 17C4 for lead playing, I use a Schilke 15B for that purpose.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The truth will out

..... eventually!

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Your Welcome Neal085, I hope this helps in some little way for you !

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Neal085, what studies do you use when working on your range, how often?

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh no!!! -- Kingtrumpet has to say something ---- although I can "hit" my higher range with that "stupid" little 14a4A --- the sound is quite "tinny" and annoying ---- I do find that using the bigger mpc (Asymmetric 3C+544) makes my high notes fuller, and richer!! --- anyways, I much prefer the bigger mpc on my horn -- of course, most of my public playing is in community bands, so high range isn't needed there-- I still generally prefer the richer sound out of the bigger mpc!! ----------------------------------------------------------------------now, that I said that ------------------------------------------------ I also wanted to mention (cleaning the horn) ---------------------which may or may not be a contributing problem (I cleaned my trombone and a few "trumpets" last week) was actually surprised about a "green glob" out of the trombone and also out of 1 trumpet ------------wow, the trombone is much easier now!!!!!! ------------------------------------------------------------AIR, faster, and focused, give it to er!! and the high notes will come out well ---------------------------------------like the above poster ----EVENTUALLY!!!!!