How to get big sound in upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tobias014, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I thought you wore big pants for that?

2. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Pics?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh the big pants help to contain contain the perfection.

4. badddnote

badddnote New Friend

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC
    If you trust that the instrument is physically designed to amplify sound waves then backing off when ascending helps. Sometimes we overblow in attempts to hear ourselves behind the horn. When you get above the staff, try backing off 10-20% and see how that goes. You should record yourself from 40 or so feet away which is about where the audience member would be sitting if you were on stage. They are the ones listening to you when you are performing anyways. If it sounds good from that perspective then you have success. How is your breathing? Are you as efficient as possible? Are you using equipment that makes ascending into the upper register as easy as possible while maintaining a quality sound? Those are questions that could fill an entire forum all by themselves. You will notice that I didn't suggest a particular method or product. That is because everyone is different and that is why you need to get with someone that will help you assess where you are at and make suggestions based on what goals you are trying to acheive.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    The advice on this thread was tremendous.

I've spent the last month working on either Arban's from page 20 or Clarke's Technical Studies several times a week.

This morning I nailed E above the staff. I stared at my trumpet and then did it a few more times, just because I could.

Then I ran and showed my wife who feigned interest before asking if I was going to pick up more baby formula on the way home. She really digs my trumpet playing.

Thanks again for all the input.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So I guess you are sayin': You've come a long way - baby. And all through using the right formula.... now don't forget to burp the baby...

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    : )

8. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    My upper range breakthrough came when I figured out the proper visualization for a high tongue arch. I added a third to my playable range instantly. I went from decent High Es and iffy High Gs to strong High G's and sometimes As. Interestingly, the high tongue arch visualization was different than what I expected.

9. ajuishkur

ajuishkur New Friend

Dec 11, 2013
    Katowice, Poland
    HI,
    I think that great way to control the airflow in all registers is praticing with spirometr (playing on your mouthpice into spirometr) it will show really hom much air you are "pushing" while playing

http://szkolymuzyczne.pl/files/store/SPIR0metr.jpg

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow - I can do that without tongue arching - just think what could happen if I figured out how to play this - but not to worry I can't figure out the "backing off" in the higher register - nope I can't figure most of this advice out - blow hard and blow often as GM might say to us - my results only came from practice, practice, practice - just play and be happy I say