How to get big sound in upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tobias014, Sep 18, 2013.

1. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Well, you can't back off in the upper range unless your tongue is arched. And if you are like me, you can't play lead charts written to High G back to back if you are relying on force alone. If you do have long endurance with force, then I envy you. I can't get there with only 2 hrs of practice a day......

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Completely normal

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps normal for you Sounds7, but I'd not say that for all.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    That sounds about right - or in my case - every other day. I was screaming out the high G' and a few decent A's yesterday mixed in with my usual trombone practice. Had a real decent 1.5 hr practice - BUT TYPICAL today just sucks cause I got a crappy sounding G and no A . This is what I've found though this past year -- a real good day takes me a day or two of recovery - I went easy today and will tomorrow - then Monday will be awesome again --- but yeah, ole KT here has limitations -- so sad --

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wouldn't know what this is like. This just doesn't happen to me. I just finished two large gigs, one at Gillys on Friday, the other at Little E's last evening and my lips still feel GREAT. We played Little E's for 4 hours, with ONLY one break, and I was still popping out Bb's below Double High C's all night. I believe if you have a practice routine DAILY that prepares you for this endurance demand, you can make it happen.

7. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    KT - I have to say that from my personal experience and those I've talked to, that phenomenon of recovery your speaking about usually comes from playing too high, too loudly on a mouthpiece that is too deep/open.. Don't know what your using or anything like that...or anything about your embouchure, etc.. but just thought I'd mention it in case it 'puts a bug in your ear'! HNY! Lex

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Otherwise known as strain, that has many causes. I find relaxation cures all strain, no matter what type of equipment I am using.

9. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And a shallower cup with more resistance keeps you from exerting too much effort in the first place where you would need to recover for so long. I still think MF and the guy who made his mouthpiece really came up with something there... I'm working with a scaled down version of his early Calicchio...some good things happening.. If I could use this to play both jazz and lead and be consistent to triple G..man, I would be set as far as physical chops.. and with a piece like that..playing up high..you feel it much more in the body and the chops stay relaxed.. but I find it takes a lot of practice to get used to a piece that efficient...to train the chops not to do what they're used to doing.. We'll see..will keep you guys posted when more used to it if it works well..will put up a clip...

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I met Maynard while playing lead trumpet with the Colorado State "Statesmen" back in 1979. He introduced me to the Jet Tone Studio B mouthpiece. I have been playing lead on this mouthpiece ever since. It is without a doubt, the most comfortable and power generating mouthpiece I have ever experienced.