How to get general public to make music? How to keep people playing after school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pete Anderson, Nov 27, 2011.

1. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Re: How to get general public to make music? How to keep people playing after school

This is one of the reasons I want to busk. Not to make money but to bring music to people who otherwise might never hear it. The side walk, the park, the parking lot, the subway. I like how the Hypnotic Brass band would just show up at a place on the street and never really the same place twice. If people won't go to the music we might have to bring the music to them.

2. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Re: How to get general public to make music? How to keep people playing after school

I like the idea and have done quite a bit of street performing myself. I think it's important to have a group of people if you're somewhere like the subway. If it's just you playing solo trumpet stuff or with a backing CD, most people will avert their eyes - "some homeless guy is playing trumpet, must avoid eye contact". If you bring a brass quintet or a small chamber orchestra people will be like, "hey this is something special, I had better pay attention". Or at least I've found that they're less afraid to look at you if there's a group, for some reason.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

JAM or any performance takes a lot of work and expense beyond just playing the instruments and it requires a doable venue, the last being an extreme rarity in my immediate area. Our house here certainly is not compatible for even a combo to jam in. Unlike the community bands of the 19th century, very few players now will perform free. Yup, the old band gazebos in public parks during the summertime too went the way of the economy without upkeep and maintenance eventually to be torn down as derelict and too hazardous to use. Yup, IMO seemingly the only way toward the top of the music world today is DVDs and CDs plus the T-shirts, caps and such. You and I both know that the great symphony orchestras are floundering, and to think lesser musical groups aren't is fantasy.

4. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ

This not in a house or gazebo but in a club near center city Phila
    The house sells light food and booze.
    They provide a "House" keyboard, bass and drummer/organizer who get paid.
    We all play to get better and be known/appreciated. Why play for free? You practice for free. I maintain 20 minutes in front of a live audience is worth at least 2 hours of "practice room" time. For me, being on the spot, having to perform and having an immediate judge is invaluable. AND I know when I am good and when I am "stinking up the joint" and better get to do more practicing without anyone having to remind me. Playing with live musicians is just different than playing the notes on a page or even with recordings.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

Pat and Mark,

As an ex Pennsylvanian, I am cognizant that PA requires a ratio of food be sold to that of alcohol sales. Too, what is described is much like an "open mic" scenario which is quite popular wherever it can be allowed. Simplest put, it won't be viable here in Northampton County NC as is dry and prohibits the sale of alcohol beverages across the counter or to tables, yet you can purchase beer and wines in grocery stores and whiskeys etc by the bottle in Alchohol Beverage Control retail stores.

I do concur with the premise of "playing free" replacing practice and much moreso with the support of house pro pianist, drummer, and bass. Hey, performing before the public is the best advertisement one can have toward the objective of performing for pay and however one can do this is the way to go, but playing inside is often more comfortable. Still, I personally wouldn't play in church unless I was good enough to do so, and the times I've done this latter, I've been accompanied by either organ or piano.