How to get in shape after a 20+yr. hiatus

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garageguy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I find it helpful to keep an old mouthpiece in my van so I can buzz as I drive. I also do the pencil in the lips routine. These things don't take the place of practice, but they help build your chops up. Just remember, it's going to take a lot longer than a few weeks to get it all back. I hope to be improving right up to the day I can't lift my horn to my lips any more. And like SFPat said, join a band or church or SOMETHING. It's different somehow if you HAVE to do it.

2. Davious

Davious New Friend

Mar 2, 2010
    just to say hi, and I also have come back after 20 years, long tones are recommended for your tone improvement and slurs for your stamina. have fun !

3. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    A great forum with a bunch of good advice. When that unexpected, violent urge to try playing again arrived a couple of months ago, I figured I was about to embark upon a senseless, wasteful, self-abusive diversion. After fighting through those first days of horrid, kazoo-like sounds and flashbacks to the first day in 4th grade band...there was a glimmer of hope (I could tell, cause my dog came back home).

My name is Olds and I have been off the Band Wagon for 27 years...

Thanks to you all for the support and the wise comments. Really appreciate it.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad yours came home. Figured mine came when the pups stopped howlingROFL:oops:

5. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    As a fellow comeback player I can endorse what has been said before but would also suggest that you play some exercises that keep the horn on your chops for a while-either in exercise form such as the Caruso ones or some lengthy studies like the Arban. Focus on relaxation and keep a record of how far you get before the "no technique, pressure" method (aka devil chops) kicks in. Hope this helps.

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    CAUTION....DO NOT LOOK AT PICTURES OF OTHER HORNS........

It all starts innocently enough, you find a "deal" at a garage sale, a nice vintage horn across town on Craig's list, then before you know what happened your wife is getting that "look" on her face as the UPS guy pulls away for the 2nd time this month, she isn't buying the "I only want to try several types" explanation and your office is taking on that smell we all remember from the school band room because of all the cases that have mysteriously shown up like tribbles over that past 6 months.......

YouTube- My favourite scene from trouble with tribbles star trek

You have been warned......

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    ROFLROFLROFL:thumbsup::play::oops:

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Sheeeesh! NOW you tell me!:shock:

9. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    Agreed, so long as you stay away from temptation it'll be no tribble at all !!!

10. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    :cool:True, tell me about it.... now horn 3 & 4 is just around the corner :shhh:.... wonder when it`ll stop? I`m addicted :stars: