How to get in shape after a 20+yr. hiatus

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garageguy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Clearly a common mid-to-later life, former trumpet playing man thing. One evening a while back, I was sitting on the edge of the bed hugging this cute little Olds Ambassador sweetie...and the wife walked in on me...she canted her head sorta funny like and asked, "is that your old trumpet?". :-?

I just might have a temporary reprieve though, cause I don't think she can tell (yet) the difference between my old silver Mendez and a lacquer Ambassador...or, that other Ambassador that fell off the big brown truck onto my front porch the other day...

2. Birdo

Birdo New Friend

Apr 5, 2009
    Okotoks Alberta Canada
    Play.....lots! Anywhere, any excuse. I left it for 20 years as well. Joined a local Community Band and now play lead in the Concert Band and various parts in a 20 piece Big Band. Rehearsal twice a week and lots of practice at home. Initially I was worried about not being able to play at all. Got the chops back in about 4 weeks. Hardest part was reading music again. Trust me, it all comes flooding back. My only cheat......dropped the 7C and opted for a Kelly Screamer. It's not everyone's bag but I really like the tone and ease of play I get from the Kelly. Stick with it....it's worth it.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I concur with Jason Bodie and would only add two words "persistence" and "diligence" the latter aka practice. I did it once, and if I'm not in hell, I'll do it again as soon as health and dental issues allow. I'll be 74 in 2010!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    So, since my dog hides when I play, does this mean I sound bad? :shhh::dontknow:

5. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    By the way, I bought the Xeno.......Plays (well at least I think it does) beautifully. Heck of an improvement over the Bestler.....

I spoke with an instructor, he asked me to "show him my choppers" and he suggested I start with a 3c mouthpiece.

Does this sound right? My lips feel a bit "fat" for it, and sometimes stop "buzzing".

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rules: 1. Play however the conductor tells you. 2. Never make statement conflicting with any instructor.

Thereby, I recuse myself from answering your PM.

Further, mpcs are as varied as individuals vis what works for one, does not for another. Absent seeing and hearing you, for sure I'm not the one to tell you what I'd recommend. Again, I say "persistence" and "diligence" and welcome to a mpc "safari".

7. curdog

curdog New Friend

Apr 19, 2010
    Carthage, Texas
    I, too, am a comeback player. When I started playing I thought that I could just pick up the horn and blow some hard, loud licks and that would be the fastest way to get the chops in shape. Sort of like a runner trying to run fast or a weight lifter lifting heavy objects. I did not allow myself to rest during my practice sessions. I wanted to get to "pain" as fast as I could because that would translate into "gain." I didn't work that way. I did not/could not spend enough TIME in a practice session that way. I discovered/rediscovered that you have to rest while you practice. Let the blood flow back into your lips. Use variety. Play soft and loud. Long tones. Lip slurs. Play high medium, and low. If you can join a band, do so. Its amazing how fast things come back when you are playing with other people. If not, then plan another venue. Just as a writer writes, a runner runs, a farmer farms, a preacher preaches, so a trumpet player must perform. This provides the thrill and power of motivation, discipline, and goals.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    During my first comeback I used Arbans ... and hated it ... but it worked. IMO I was playing better than I ever had. However, what amazed me was my fingering was faster, and that I don't think can be found in any book. It comes to be only with tenacity and perseverance.

9. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I recently came across this link. I'm trying it along with the other traditional methods of building endurance.

Schilke Power Exercise

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    "Arbans, and lip slurs, long tone, pedal tones. These have worked for me after a 16 year hiatus."
    Ok - everyone should agree with Jason (above)-- and also Curdog -- play for a few minutes, then rest a few.
    light pressure, scales, Oh I also found trying to triple tongue scales helps also. It took a few months for me for the speed to come about, but slowly the chops are strenthened.
    also -- use air -- fast air for higher notes instead of lips --something I have to constantly work on -- check out Keith fiala on youtube -- he has lots of good tips.
    practice -- Patience, and perserverance --- that's all it takes!!!
    oh I am comeback at 45yrs old after 7 yrs off -- 20 months in -- I am better than ever - but that's 2-3 hrs practice everyday -- and it took months to get there.