How to get recognized

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Aug 19, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hi all,

So I have been playing in this big band over the summer in Ottawa as a part time, fun, side thing other than my job. (After playing marches ALLL day, it is nice to play outside the box). One of the trumpet players suggested to me that I could very well play in some LA session recordings. Then it donned on me: How the hell would I make any contacts like that. I am from Nova Scotia Canada and go to school in New Brunswick. I have absolutley NO money to move out to a place like LA and nobody reallys knows who I am.

I guess what I am asking is: How does one make contacts in that area and how could I start getting known?

Thanks for any advice - I am always impressed by peoples experteese on this forum.

Cheers
    Eric Sproul
    Mount Allison University
    152 Main St. Unit #196
    Sackville, NB E4L 1B3
    [email protected]

Band of the Ceremonial Guard.

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you want to work in another town, you should move to the other town. That is the best way to make contacts. Go there and play for/with as many people as you can.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

Stay tuned...

In my article for the UK Brass forum, I explained how I got the MF gig. There are dieas embedded there that ought to help you.

http://www.brass-forum.co.uk/Articles/NickDrozdoffMaynardFerguson.htm

Also, I have written antother article for the UK Brass forum on how I have worked around Chicago. In those experiences you should find some ideas that you could apply to getting some work. You could get in touch with Adrian Horn of the UK Brass Forum to get an ETA of the posting time for the second article.

http://www.brass-forum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=admin

The first thing you'll need to do, of course, is to get a demo tape toghether.

More later.

Peace, man!

Nick

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I hear one way is to get lessons with the current working pros and then when you have demonstrated that you are a strong enough player, they may send some subbing work your way.

Getting the lessons part is easy; at my current rate, I'll reach the 'strong enough player' part about the time I turn 90. :roll: ;-)

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Thats what happened to me.
    After half an hour he said "you don;t need lessons, you need a gig".

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I guess the big thing is to find the money to move to a big place like chicago or LA and then find the money to take lessons. I just hope the teacher will think the same way yours did, Gordan :lol:

Eric

7. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    dude... nickD, your my idol... ive heard that the music buisness is 10 percent skill and 90 percent luck (aka putting it all out there to increase your chances of being noticed) i really hope i can break out, im gonna work my hardest when the time comes... for now ill just keep on practicing hard hard.... im about four hours from chicago, so maybe ill try to move there... even though the competition is so feirce... i really appreciated your testimony nickD... thanks...