How to get smoke smell out of instrument?...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 10, 2011.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I bought my mom, a french horn player, a hunting horn on eBay for $30, and it is a great model and actually plays quite well for the price. However, it definitely came from a smoking home and she hates that smell and is allergic to it as well. Any suggestions on how to get that smell out? Would a normal, thorough cleaning do the job? I've heard vinegar works for other materials, but I don't know if that would damage the horn's finish. Thank you in advance.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Let it soak from a bath.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't know about the vinegar, but smoke smells usually start going away (as far as fabric) after a few good cleanings. I would think cleaning out the inside of the horn would be your best bet.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Vinegar is good, maybe a lemon juice solution. Tomato juice worked pritty well on my dog when she rolled all over a dead/decaying fish.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would be afraid that it would eat the lacquer or silver, the acid in lemon juice and vinegar.
    I wouldn't put tomato juice in a trumpet either...

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vinegar + brass = verdigris, which is a carcinogen. Vitamin C makes for a better DIY chemical clean, but a bath in lukewarm soapy water should do the job. Be sure to rinse it well afterwards.

7. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Weak acids are generally used to DELAQUER:

"Point of fact I had an old 1930-ish horn that had nitrocellulose lacquer on it. For that I used boiling water with a hint of vinegar and dish soap and the nitrocellulose lifted right off. So knowing the material is key and that horn prob. epoxy based so you will need strong stuff. Walmart carries ZipStrip. Aircraft Remover can be bought at most hardware stores and automotive parts stores. " - Trumpet Herald

Also, here:
    "If the object is lacquered or just brass plated and you wish to keep it that way, dip a soft cotton rag into the soap and water, ring it out as well as you can so that it is only slightly damp, and gently wipe the surface clean. If the object is not lacquered, start by soaking it for a few minutes. "

So you shouldn't SOAK in any sort of acid (vinegar, lemon juice), or weak base (soap)[not sure about this] according to that. I think you can wipe it down though. I've never had to deal with it, because I have one brass horn, one silver.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You used THat site......

9. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    ? Trumpet Herald has some very well respected posters as well, and useful threads

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    THat is a good site, but TM is better