How to get smoke smell out of instrument?...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I use one part Simple Green to three parts water. Let soak for about fifteen minutes and then rinse thoroughly.

Gary

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why do those that have NEVER done this before blog things that they know nothing about? There are enough people in the know at TM that can offer proven solutions! Why fill the threads up with no experience solutions?

What causes the smell? Deposits on the surface of the instrument. If played by a smoker, then also on the inside of the instrument. You all can look up if those aerosols chemically combine with brass or lacquer and then think about what you find.

My experience is that it is incredibly STUPID to pull out the heavyweight cleaning stuff before simple elbowgrease and dishwashing liquid has been tried. Jumping right into acid shows how little you care about the results.

Trumpet_Man asked a legitimate question. The answers, well I guess this is the internet and you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    listen to rowuk - a bath in luke warm water with Dawn dish soap will do wonders. rinse when done [several times].

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thank you!

You took the words right out of my mouth!

5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto,I too would start with a good hot water soak/ cleaning with lemon Dawn dish soap cleaner. To get the smoke smell out of the inner/inside of the horn Case. Leave it overnight or even a few days with some Charcoal Barbeque bricklets in the case. Many as you like. Will help absorb the smell.

A good spraying with Free breeze,let dry. Gently vacuum out Case. Wipe down outside of Case with mild soap and damp cloth. The mouthpiece will need a good soaking/cleaning, repolish with Flitz metal polish.

Use correct H&W horn cleaning kit. Those who have never cleaned a Trumpet/Cornet/etc.,should take their instrument to a Music Tech. or let some one who knows how, to teach them.

Beware of cheap cleaning Horn kits,that have sharp ends on Brushes etc.,that can quickly ruin the inside of a Horn. Good luck.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you smoke (and I once did), the odor and stains is as much inside the instrument as outside. A soaking bath in Dawn dish soap for several days plus a good interior plain water flush followed by exposure outdoors does as much restorative removal of the smoke odor and stain as you're likely to get. It's really harder to get such out of a case. Those with silverplated instruments may not observe it as much, but smell the inside. Then, you may consider having a bucket nearby to catch your puke while doing so.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Brass soap is safe and it might help.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    WD-40 gets rid of anything. It is safe. You can let it soak for a while 30 mins. then pull a swab cloth through it. It will gradually evaporate or you can soak it in soapy water and the Wd-40 smell will subside.
    The old hunting horns are cool.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    WD-40 has one disadvantage, if the lacquer isn't 100%, it can get under that and then it starts to peel off (faster than it would have otherwise).

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.