How to get smoke smell out of instrument?...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I give my horns a monthly bath with detergent -- my old Recording had that smoker's smell which just wouldn't go away, but after a recent ultrasound clean it's fine. The technician who cleaned it said a fair bit of black stuff came out and he had to do some extra work to really clean it.

Perhaps I could have done a better job of cleaning the trumpet myself if I'd left it longer in the bath (rather than just 20 minutes or so). I had been using a "snake" but not much stuff came out with that -- perhaps it was really solidly bonded to the metal? Before the ultrasound clean I would have given it about 10 baths.

--bumblebee

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've recently been buying a few pre-owned instruments to provide to young beginning students or selling to others who could not afford to buy new. You can be sure I'm not providing a "stinky" to the children or that I would be stupid enough to attempt to market one. I've been having Ivan repair/rehabbing them since I've moved here to NC and I'm sure he will corroborate that I request ultrasound / chem clean with all I send him.

I'm pretty sure that 20 munutes isn't an adequate soak, and though I've heard that Dawn now has a soaker type, but I haven't tried it.

What I can say is that yellow stain turns darker with age and is an accumulation that includes tar resins. Still, a simple bath will tell you if a pre-owned has been a smoker whereas the bath water has a color caste.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If there is a tobacco smell is in a trumpet you may have to replace all the valve felts and the water key corks. I had to do this for a TM member recently.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Ed must have been typing at the same time as me!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, I told you Ivan would corroborate as that was what he did for one of my pre-owned acquisitions.

6. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    How long a soak is recommended for the monthly bath then? I'm using a large plastic tub which can comfortably take 1 horn and most months I have 3 to do...

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The two that you need first, and the smoky one over night.

8. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'll remember that next time I get one like that. But now all my horns are "ultraclean" how long is a standard soak (followed by snake and rinse)?

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

9. blaser

blaser New Friend

Apr 4, 2011
    I would like to delacquer an old couesnon trumpet....is there a relatively easy and effective way to do that at home???