how to get sponsored?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by victrumpet, Sep 28, 2008.

1. victrumpet

victrumpet New Friend

Sep 28, 2008
    how do people get sponsored by different companies, like becoming a Yamaha performing artist? how does that work? Do they look for people to sponsor, or do people ask for sponsorship?

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I had a partial sponsorship years ago. I was playing at a Jazz Club and a guy walked up and complimented me on my playing. I was up for a new horn and the guy said he had a friend that worked for a trumpet builder. I had tried the brand before and liked them. After a few phone calls, I got a horn built for about 1/3 of the rrp. on the understanding that if I liked the horn I would recommend it. There were basically no strings attached. It was an arrangement I was happy with. I think a binding written contract can put a player in a compromising ethical position. I didn't push the brand down people's throats. If I was doing a gig with a horn section, I would often swap horns for a tune or two, if asked. A few guys loved the horn and ordered one. A lot of guys prefered the axe they were playing.
    Beware entering a contract just for the sake of it. If you were playing a horn before a sponsorship arrangement was struck, it may be ethically easier.