How to get the mouthpiece out of the pink?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Jun 16, 2009.

1. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I'm starting to realize that, if I don't consciously think about it, my mouthpiece slides into the pink part of my top lip - it's about halfway between the skin above my upper lip and the bottom lip. It's also slightly off-center. The problem with this is that I seem to have the best sound in there - it's clear and not fuzzy. I'm working on moving my mouthpiece up, but I usually seem to have a fuzzier tone whenever it's out of the pink part of my lip. What can help me out here? Also, it seems that my lips seem to puff when I play - for example, take your two fingers and place them horizontally, one on top of the other, along your lips to get an idea of how wide my lips go at the middle when I play. Is this a problem or what? If necessary I may be able to post some pics tomorrow or the day after.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I call it Mbouchure. Just put your lips together like an M, place the mouthpiece so that the pink is INSIDE the cup and blow. Longtones should be the first thing that you play every day and you can look in the mirror if you have to. Once the position is a habit (after a thousand or more repetitions), you won't have to worry about it any more. Don't pay any attention to how wide or anything else- "M" and blow. The rest will happen, or you need a teacher.
    If you are really worried about not doing it right you only have one choice - a teacher in the know. There is no better investment for a beginner!!!!

3. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Hmmm. Well, to give you an idea of my embouchure, roll your lips out into a big puckered kiss, as big as it'll go. Then tighten up your bottom lip. That's basically my embouchure.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sounds like you need local help. Pucker is something that I have never seen work on the trumpet..........................

Most of the things that we learn to do as babies is through emulation. Real lessons with a real teacher, gives us an opportunity to "emulate" without analysis. Very little chance for "misunderstanding".