How to hold a rotary

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Not trying to steal the thread but on which side you have to blow a rotary?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Depends on the thickness of your lips and the size of your mouthpiece shank...........

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We still haven't covered what oil/grease, what mouthpieces work best, best cases, best mutes, how to best clean, the proportion of practice time between piston and rotary, ......

I don't have a problem with all of the questions, they simply do not relate to any need that I had. My introduction to rotary trumpets was with a teacher that played one. I just watched him and followed suit. I learned about disassembly and cleaning at a good shop when I had a dent removed. There was no google or YouTube in my day and I still managed with traditional means: just try it out.

Let's not dog every thread that asks the obvious. There is no minimum standard for being a member here and as long as the poster is ASKING, a short answer without banter just means the factoid dissappears in a couple of days (to be resurrected in 5 years). When someone with no idea starts professing however, then a different course of action can be beneficial.

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I use Ultra pure bearing and key/linkage oil.
    Yamaha and Holton rotary oil
    Vincent Bach slide grease

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use LaTromba T2 and anhydrous lanolin from the drugstore on all of my horns, piston or rotary.

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    In this life it's even posssible to be too nice.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I will respectfully disagree. Too nice is the ultimate insult and can be used to great effect. I think that too nice can also be linked to oestrogen level in the body.

I understand where many of us here at TrumpetMaster are. I think the general mood is a phenomenon common to this time of year (School break).

The basic question for the community is what is the entry point to even answer questions? If a poster obviously is too lazy to even google answers and wants to be spoon fed on everything, are we acting in their interest by feeding them, criticizing them, ridiculing them? I don't think that there is an easy or even absolute answer to this.

One thing is very clear to me, the information age only works for those that learn to leverage it. Being lazy and expecting a community to substitute for true curiosity is a challenge for us all.

I think that it is legitimate to post "why should we even answer this question? Google can also be your friend and I know for a fact that we have covered this subject many times". If we would only engage at this level, there are consequences. I can sing a song about them.........

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    No disrespect, no insult meant. But I consider BBM as a kind of troll and I dislike internet polution.

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I am totally fine with that haters are gonna hate.
    I got a question.
    If you think I am a troll why do you reply to my posts that you think that is so useless?

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I happen to enjoy the product of BBM's questions, they may seem simple but always bring about a lot of opinions and some good reading