How to hold your trumpet at an upward angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jun 16, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I'm doing marching band next year, and in marching band, I have to hold my trumpet at an upward angle during performance. How do I do that without ruining my posture?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Get another mouthpiece (same as you use) and have a tech bend it for you.

3. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Or lift your chin up a little bit. That shouldn't ruin your posture. Keep your core engaged as well.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If that is for more than a bit of the performance, (ie swinging the horn up and down.) If you are expected to play with the horn at an unaturally high angle for extended periods my advice woulde be to shoot the director. You are either going to ruin your embouchure by hinging the horn at the lip, hurt you neck and cut your airflow if you hinge at the neck or hurt your back if youbend backward. Crazy, G man I need a consult

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Alright, a few hours since this has been posted and only one threat/insult to the director?

Here we go, there is nothing natural about marching band, period. Posture, demand, running around while playing, distance with sections, nothing about it is natural. When doing all these unnatural things, you're are going to have to find the balance. Lifting your chin up opens up the airflow I believe, but we should wait for Gmonady on that. Kudos TM. Unfortunately, we, as students, do not give the luxury to do as we please. We give the director what they want, you can either do it their way, or figure it out on your own. But you haven't started yet, don't fret. The majority of players have a slightly downward angle as do I, and I'd find it hard to believe that they are bending over backwards to get the horn angles right. Just relax and you'll learn. Most importantly, do not change your set up to accommodate horn angle, you'll do more harm than good.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A very old analytical trick is to have a cord with a plumb bob (fishing sinker) and hold the cord against the tip of your nose. If the cord also doesn't touch the tip of your chin you've a physiological variance to overcome in order to normally play your trumpet with it near level with your embouchure sustained. Pivoting your head back actually opens your airway ... ask an EMT or Doc. Too, take the Red Cross CPR course and save a life. Trumpets up in marching band normally means only to clear the head of the person in front of you and allow your sound to project. Your sound is certainly muffled against the back of the player in front of you. Wait until you need bi-focal eyeglasses and you'll have to roll your head back to see the music held in your lyre.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well DaTrump You've just outlined all that worries me with marching bands. Lifting the chin slightly will open your airway but if you are being asked to contiually wave the horn up at a 45 degree plus angle then you will end up flexing the neck which will put you under pressure at the back of the neck (I am a qualified First Aider BTW I have to be to work with children. Our course tutor was very clear lift the chin with the back of the neck supported or you will crush the front of the airway).

What bothers me is that we spend time making trumpet playing as natural as possible then when they hit marching bands they are pushed pulled and bent into odd angles and shapes which are anything but, often, apparently, by directors who care more for showmanship than their band members.

8. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    Get this one.
    [​IMG]
    grz.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Or this one (more radical):
    [​IMG]
    Upright flugel by Taylor (from a recent thread started by Nordlands).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I'll lend you a shotgun to use on your band director... loaded with rubber pellets only, of course...