How to hold your trumpet at an upward angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jun 16, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OR get a mouthpiece you can sacrifice, and bend it at a 20 degree angle higer up on the bore and at a fraction of the cost of buying one of these puppies. And then you can keep your neck at a comfortable neutral position, which will also save you on chiropractic visits.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ooops... sorry, I just read this afer my post. Great minds they say... Think I'd also look pretty cool in a pink slip!

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ditto on the mouthpiece idea.

Directors that want/demand this unnatural playing geometry are, for lack of a better word, idiots.

It pains me to see that this is what HS band has come to - an unreasonable obsession with choreographed
    marching band shows.

Cornyandy likes this.
  4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    The bent mp is a good idea. DO NOT CHANGE THE ANGLE OF THE MP ON YOUR EMBOUCHURE. It will wreck your playing. You are better off raising your head up. I'm a middle school band director and have seen a lot of kids ruin their playing like this.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ditto x 1000!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The Getzen 900H (for Herriot) was designed for Bobby Herriot and marching band. It "solved" the problem your director has with the sound going into the back of the head of the player in front of you. Florida A&M was one of the first to have the whole section use them. Another school close to Getzen also used them (don't remember who right now). It worked great except for the players treating them like marching instruments and "forgetting" the bell is tilted. But for inattentive players abuse, it was and still is a great design. Mine made it through 3 years of marching and it's still my main horn.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I have to assume it is only for the momentary visual and auditory punches and not the whole show. If my assumption is correct, a simple lifting of the chin is best. Do avoid the radical bending of the knees and arching of the back - it doesn't help, it looks amateurish.

Now if my assumption is wrong, well...your band director is an idiot and the M&M (marching & maneuvering) instructor is also an idiot for not telling the director he is an idiot. Dead level (or a similar phrase) is what you should be hearing from the staff except for choreographed up angle of short duration. A whole show of elevated horn angles would be visually strange to say the very least and isn't going to score out well at all in visuals, but it would at least give you a nice prolonged opportunity to drink your own spit.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Can we start a petition or something - this is a really dumb thing that seems to be have become
    somewhat accepted among directors as "cool"?

9. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok folks... Please don't flame me for disagreeing with a lot of you BUT, as someone who has been in Marching Bands for MANY years (HS, College, and now Lead in the Baltimore Ravens Marching Band) I have to disagree with a lot of you on two counts:

1. That the horns up angle is "just for showmanship and the director needs to be shot etc." - While it's not always comfortable or even "good for us" as trumpet players to do this, in MB it's a very necessary evil. Without that angle you lose a TON of sound... trust me, I didn't believe it until I was made to go up in the stands and listen to the band A/B with horns "parallel" and with horns up. It makes a BIG difference!

2. That this is a "big deal" - I'm paraphrasing... and I don't mean to say that it's not difficult for some players because it can be... and I'm not saying that it's NEVER messed anybodies chops up, because I'm sure it has... BUT in all of MY years marching and helping others learn I've never found A person who couldn't do this long enough to get through a show. (And I have neck issues due to neurosurgery!). My thoughts/suggestions are as follows:

a. If you are marching properly your horn angle is likely to come up a few degrees without even thinking about it. When you come to attention and your shoulders roll back slightly and your chin raises slightly you're already halfway there.

b. Compensate a few things a little bit... you don't need to change the MP angle on your face by 10 degrees but if you get a few with your marching posture, and then tilt the head back SLIGHTLY and even a slight bit at your back... you're already there. Too many people make too big of a deal about it MENTALLY instead of just figuring it out and making it work.

c. For me personally I find that a slight bit more of a tilt of the valves toward my right hand helps get me in this position more easily.

d. Don't think about it so dag on much! focus on making music and having fun... it will all come together!!!

Just my thoughts as somebody who's done it for a LONG time! :cool:

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Lots of people have bad habits, that doesn't change the fact that they are bad habits.
    Similarly, lots of people have bad working conditions, that doesn't change the fact that they are bad.

I come down on the side of the many, many top notch pros (not claiming I am one, not even close)
    that teach you to use proper posture ALL the time to get optimum performance.

Posture is critical to proper playing and marching bands are teaching / demanding something else.

And furthermore, where does it end? Back in the 70's and 80's our director wanted us to play straight out,
    and now they demand a "slight" upward angle. What's it going to be in 20 years, up to 45 degrees?

The only sensible thing is to teach kids the proper posture not something artificial for the sake
    of a HS show.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013