How to hold your trumpet at an upward angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jun 16, 2013.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm not trying to discount what Scott said about losing sound, but lets be honest here,
    when's that last time you saw a marching band and thought the trumpets weren't loud enough?

Granted, trumpet is the most awesome instrument on the planet, but once in a while we do need to be objective
    and wonder what what all those funny horns with thin, spit soaked wafers of wood sound like.

2. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Well... I know that my marching situation now is a little extreme compared to almost any other, BUT when you're in a stadium with 70,000 people it's LOUD even when they're not being loud and sound gets lost REAL fast.

As for the reedsuckers... yeah, we pretty much just assume they're not gonna be heard and that they are dots in the drill design. :) In fact, when our music arrangers do their thing they rarely/ever write for woodwinds... they most always double with some sort of brass.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The best solution to this begins the very first day a student picks up a trumpet and the instructor explains and demonstrates the projection of sound and the proper posture for playing the instrument. IMO it is unlikely you'll learn this from a B Ed with a music performance major on piano. As much as I'm a Sousa addict, and he wrote a passel of marches, at best I read that his 2 commercial bands only marched 7 times. There is no known visual kinetic imaging of his bands marching that reflects the projection direction his CORNETS were pointed toward. Aside, he was recognized as a master violinist, yet it is also said that he learned to play every instrument in his bands well, yet no reference is known to me stating with whom he studied these other instruments ... if indeed he studied from others at all.

4. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    On Saturday we had the Trooping of the Colour for the Queen's birthday. The army bands march - but with no nonsense. OS they play fine. They even wander round on horses, but no stupid show-off nonsense, so they play fine. Not like these weird goings-on I see seem to happen in the US at college and high school (so-called) football games, you cannot possibly play fine when you're doing those things.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    This sounds like a trickle down effect from DCI Competition where every little thing you do is scored.
    I marched in HS, marched in DCI, Marched in the military bands…..I’m glad my marching days are
    over. Wouldn’t want to do that again, worst of it was it promoted chop pressure for me (from trying
    to keep the mouthpiece in place) that took years to get rid of also. No Thank you…

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

Where do you think we point the bells? It's 10 degrees up from parallel . If you play with the mouthpiece pressure dispersed evenly, this SHOULDN'T be an issue.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    How do you come up with that ? In all my years of playing I've run across one person that plays above parallel, and he has a heck of a protruding lower jaw......
    If you play with even distribution of pressure actually your horn should be parallel or lower unless your bottom teeth stick out past your top teeth...

8. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    He's referring to what is taught and expected in his and a large number of Marching Bands... 10 degrees above parallel is the "rule of thumb" for getting the sound up off the field and into the stands... not "45 plus" as some people are assuming.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Thanks Trumpetguy, Sorry Datrump, I mis-understood....

10. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    I don't know how these stupid marching band standards were set but even professional college marching band directors make their brass hold their instruments up too high for natural airflow.