How to hold your trumpet at an upward angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jun 16, 2013.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Exactly, chin slightly up and the 10 degrees becomes not a problem for most players.

2. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    If you really need to HEAR it to believe ask your band director to let you go to the middle/top of your stadium next time your band is rehearsing... then have the band play with their horns at a comfortable parallel or lower... and then have them perform the same thing with their horns up 10 degrees... You WILL hear a major difference. It's not that some director has decided to make you uncomfortable it's that it's a necessary evil to get the sound to the people that are listening to you, or what's the point of playing at all?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Tilted bell trumpet,Tilted bell trumpet, Tilted bell trumpet,Tilted bell trumpet.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

4. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I know where a nice leblanc Heriott and a couple Dizzy horns can be found ... my good friend owns the music store and they ship! :)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, let me ask my wif... .NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, says wife! Maybe if I sell my Strad!!

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    OK, it's obvious that if you point a bell closer to the direction of the crowd it will be louder. That's not in question.

What is in question is that directors are forcing students to do this with no regard for whether or not it is harmful to them.
    I think it is because it is not good mechanics. Using incorrect mechanics, as a habit, takes years to undo.

This is one of those aspects of marching band that makes it unattractive to students.
    Sore lips combined with extremely long required rehearsals have ruined what used to be fun for those of
    us that had a reasonable director. Yes, we did a new show for every home game and played songs for the whole
    game.

But we didn't have "band camp" we had a couple evening practices the first week of school and then used our
    regular 1 hour per day class time to work on shows. When football season was over, so was marching band.
    Usually 10 weeks, tops. Then we got back to playing concert music. The obsession in some places with marching
    band has turned it into a year long activity. I find it a waste of time and talent.

7. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Yes, you get more sound with the angles up there. But necessary evil my butt! Most of those marching band kids may be fanatics but I care equally for anyone interested in music. Those fanatics are laced with a grand assortment of technical faults in their playing. For brass especially, huffing and air in general are all too common issues.
    Someone else mentioned something I can agree with: When have you had a hard time hearing trumpets? At any rate, huffing and not using full air greatly diminish dynamic power. If the first year of a musician's life is taken to teach them how to use air right and produce good tone, dynamic is a non-issue come marching band time.
    My youngest trumpet student was frustrated for a while because we spent his first 4 or 5 months learning to produce good tone with good air. Now his technical ability is taking awesome flight. If you heard him practicing, you'd think he was a freshmen college student.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If part of playing becomes an evil then frankly it is not worth playing at all. I would like to add that the 45 degree lift I mentioned was an arbitrary figure plucked out of the air because I have seen bands playing with instruments at that angle and my comment was "if" not "as" A player is stressing over how he should go on about marching in the band, that is good enough for me to think there is something wrong somewhere. Mike up the trumpets with radio mikes if you must but for me, keep the playing as natural as possible. (I know mikes are ridiculous suggestion but you can see how I am thinking)

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ditto what J-MA said. I've heard high school bands and thought the trumpets were louder than the rest of the band.
    Then I played next to one of their top players in a different setting and he wasn't loud at all, in fact his tone was kinda
    weak. Learning how to get the fullest sound out of the instrument without "mashing" the lips is something to be strove
    for. Plus, learning the proper mechanics makes it possible to play at high volumes for a full gig (sometimes 4 hours),
    not just for an 8 minute show and then having "blown" chops.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It's interesting what J-MA is saying about air, after 20 years of trumpet I took a break to sing 1st tenor in various operas including a number of lead roles, I learnt more about breathing from singing lessons than I ever did from brass lessons.