How to hold your trumpet at an upward angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jun 16, 2013.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    For me it was the opposite - when I starting playing trumpet seriously again back in 2001 I found my singing became better
    due to improved breathing and posture.

2. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Air is quite a universal study for musicians. The fact that you learn air when you try a new discipline is only a sign that your previous teacher wasn't well-equiped to help.
    No one bothered to help me with air. I learn things to fast and an early inclination to have tone qualities similar to the professionals is what propelled me to find a way to use my air better.
    ...yes, I am that musician that produces a lot of condensation. But I sound good doing it. :p

3. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I don't think any educated director would ever advise a student to bring the horn up by simply tilting on the lips, which seems to be a common misconception with people as to what they think is being asked of them.

When playing with good posture and horn position, the horn is generally up and for most players pretty close to parallel. If you are lifting the horn to parallel or just above (the 10-15 degrees that is asked for in most marching bands/drum corps) then your whole head needs to be going with it, which can sometimes feel unnatural or heavy at first, but it does allow you to keep a good embouchure on the mpc without unnecessary pressure, and keep your airway open to best utilize your air.

No band should ever be marching a whole show at 45 degrees, that would be ridiculous!

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    It's OK, Doc, we all have done that once or twice for sure! I like the idea too, by the way.

6. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    some helpful posts here.
    i'll try not to ruin my body setting when I hold the trumpet 10 degrees above parallel
    i'll just move my chin slightly up, that should be enough

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013