How to identify a brass player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mason, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    How do you identify a brass player you have never ment on the streets?

My teacher said to me, that a brass player will have developed musclers around there lips and mouth so when they talk you can see them stretch and your lips would formed differently with a "button" looking think ontop of your front top lip. Yes?

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I remember some pics of Miles Davis, or other trumpet players, where that "button" was evident. At least when they just put down the horn... But a couple hours later ? Maybe because of that many trumpeters don't shave the moustache ? :-D

3. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    They are usually attractive charismatic people............ Well that's what I see when I look in the mirror.:dontknow:

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Not to mention intilli....entelle.....uh, smart.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    The button on the top lip is only a sign that they use a tremendous amount of pressure. However, correct pressure would be on the bottom lip and not on the top. We only make sure that the top lip forms a seal. I encourage anyone to only use necessary pressure to get a good full sound. Pressing on the top only causes the lips to not buzz properly as there is very little muscle in the top lip and the pressure stops you from fully being able to buzz.

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    "Two guys are walking down the street, one was a trumpet player, the other guy didn't have any money either"
    One of my favs, stolen from someone's old avatar tag

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My massage therapist says my right hand is more muscular, and I have too many knots between my shoulder blades from holding up 3lbs of metal all day - my husband says he could tell because I'm a pain in the a**!:D

8. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    ok but that doesnt say how you guys would identify one?

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    ever try just asking someone? Why do you need to identify them?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mason,
    I have almost NEVER been able to identify a brass player on the street. I have a pretty easy time figuring out which people WITH trumpets are making a big mistake though!!!!!