How to improve tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Aug 12, 2014.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I have a good tone, but I want to make it better, more resonant and pure. However, I don't have specific problems in my tone, so I don't know what I can change. Any tips? The only thing I've heard so far is long tones and hearing an ideal tone in your head.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    The only thing you have heard is all you need to hear. Just do that, a lot.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You need a different mouthpiece

trickg likes this.
  4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well that's a helpful comment Chuck, Are you being serious that there is something wrong with the Monette 6, saying you don't like it or just being ironic, I know you like your wedge very much but I'm not sure what you mean here

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    This is a joke... right...?

6. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know if Chuck is being ironic, but you CAN get a truer tone from a deeper cup, especially if it's
    more suitable to your lip anatomy and playing style. The reverse of that is why players get fuzz from excessively
    shallow mouthpieces. If you're already getting a clear tone that doesn't come off as true as you would like,
    a deeper mouthpiece might work. Try to keep the same rim diameter though.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Check your posture, looking for excess tension and play (including long tones) some pretty tunes. Try to make it sound like your favorite classical player. It never will, of course, but it helps to get your voice out there.

8. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Listen to horn players that you emulate too. I found that listening, playing with in tune, comfort, and trying to echo the some elements of horn players that I like personally, helped me develop a sound that I think is uniquely my own.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that Chuck's response is the best. :D

So, based on some of the OPs other posts, this is a young person - probably still in high school based on an All-State band audition post. What seems to be a theme with younger players who come on asking advice about playing, and specific aspects of playing, such as tone, range, articulation, etc, is that they are looking for some trick or sage words of wisdom that is going to do the trick. The truth is actually considerably simpler.

If you want better tone, then work on tone, and do the kinds of practicing that improves tone. Every day. And don't expect to hear big changes in a week or two - it doesn't work that way. Improvement on these kinds of things isn't measured in a week or two, but rather months and even years.

If you want better tone, then work your long tones. Do entire practice sessions where all you work on is long tones, but certainly incorporate it into your daily routine.

There was once a quote that I saw somewhere, and used to incorporate into my signature line:

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous"

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practicing.