How to improve tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Aug 12, 2014.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Long tones, good posture, eliminate tension, etc. All spot on.

"Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I tried that once.....tried to get a sound like Yo Yo Ma.....I got kicked out of the swing band!

3. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    This is TrumpetMaster................ It's ALWAYS the mouthpiece's fault!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Quoted for truth.

I think that so many of us WAY over-think it. While certain things might be improved with body position, I seriously doubt if it's the root of the problem, and especially not if basics of posture are being followed when playing and practicing, i.e., no slouching, no crossed legs, etc.

Most of the time the answer to the query is simple - if you want to improve whatever it is that needs to be improved, then work on it systematically every day. The only exception to this I feel is range in the stratosphere of the instrument. Otherwise, if you are playing from low F# to 2nd ledger C, the same rules apply - work on the fundamentals in a systematic way, and the issues often take care of themselves. The trouble is, trumpet players as a whole spend more time looking for tricks and shortcuts than they do "hittin' the bricks" doing solid work in the practice room.

Of course, the mouthpiece can ALWAYS be improved. ;-)

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry Chuck I genuinely could not make my mind up whether you were being ironic or not there.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Close, but for the swing band you'd want to sound like Yo Ma Ma.

7. Solar Bell

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    yes!

8. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Agreed. I like my sound better now than I did 6 months ago. I plan on liking it better six months from now.

I finally figured out that to get the sound and skill level I want, I just need to put in the hours. And weeks. And months. It will get there. Rome wasn't built in a day.....

9. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    To be honest, it isn't clear exactly what the OP's problem is. He/she made it
    sound like his/her tone is already good. When looking for more resonance, if
    playing mechanics are fine, change to deeper mouthpiece will do well. Apparently
    Monette 6 is like a 3C, so it's not particularly shallow. However, OP should clarify what
    is lacking in his/her tone.
    Even if OP is in high school, maybe you guys are making too many assumptions.
    Mouthpiece choice should not be scoffed at. We just don't
    know enough about the OP's problem to pile on with the usual advice about practicing better.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You mean, you tried to match your trumpet playing sound to Yo Yo Ma's trumpet playing sound? I hadn't heard he plays trumpet very well[SUP]*[/SUP] so that might be why...

--bumblebee

([SUP]*[/SUP]though of course he might)