How to improve tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Aug 12, 2014.

1. DaChan

DaChan Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2014
    When I play my $100 trombone that a got a couple months ago I don't sound as good as when I play my trumpet. Is this a mouthpiece issue? lololol

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Likely an embouchure adjustment issue.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Is this comparing your slide T-bone playing to your trumpet playing? If so, equalizing your practice time on each may help. Yes, they are different embouchures, but there is nothing stopping you from adapting to both in the switch. However, slide position on the T-bone is critical for note accuracy and not always the same from one T-bone to another I've found.

Honesty, I've been so long away from the T-bone that my slides are no longer accurate or fast enough ... so I quit as I do not feel I've time left in life to recover the accuracy and speed. Still, I use the same mouthpieces on my euphonium without difficulty ... just can't get as smooth a slur on the euph as I once did on the T-bone. Ha! in my comeback, I was transposing the bass C to Bb as is the pitch of the tenor T-bone. Wasn't that bad solo, with odd slide positions, but a real mess when dubbing such to other instruments. Sure hope you're not making the same mistake.

4. DaChan

DaChan Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2014
    Actually, I was kidding and taking a reductio ad absurdium approach to the old is it the player, the horn or the mouthpiece question. I've played the trumpet for a bit over 20 years and the trombone for a bit over 2 months. While I'm at it, I'll point out that the valve action on my 1970's king tempo tenor slide trombone is poor.

I know I can't play much on the bone, since I've only owned it a couple months and don't give it more than 15 minutes on a good day. I got it to see how it might change my trumpeting, and I really like it for that. That said, this feedback from the real doublers out there gives me a bit more confidence that one day I might also be a boner lol. Time will tell. I have no intention to compromise my trumpet practice to accommodate a lesser instrument (kidding).

Getting back to tone, I still think it comes down to exposure and practice. I also agree with ultratrumpet where here says practice tone and attack at double forte. IMO there is nothing like putting more fire into your horn to open up the softer side of the instrument.

5. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    there is an interview with arturo sandoval somewhere on youtube where he sits on the couch in his house and in a response to a question about sound, demonstrates about a half a dozen radically different trumpet sounds not only on the same horn and mouthpiece, but with no more than a breath between each. its not only pretty impressive, but it demonstrates the importance of having the sound in your head and the control in your chops.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Control is key!