How to increase your endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I am having some endurance issues. I can only play for about 30 minutes then I have to take a 4 hour break or so. Can you guys tell my how to increase your endurance.

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    What are you doing for the 30 minutes?

Pete

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Long tones. Soft and long. Then do them starting soft and going to really loud, but still a controlled sound. Never blast.
    Start around middle G and work your way up chromatically to g on top of the staff. Try doing 4 bars at 60bpm or so. Don't expect to get through the entire thing on your first try.

4. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I start with a stamp warm up then some tech studies; clarke then a few pages of Arban double tripletungueing stuff and that is when I get tired

5. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    What do you mean by long tones like when do them during practice like when I am tired or what

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Start with long tones played softly ,then soft or mp lip slurs rest as long as you play each set of long tones and slurs.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I keep hearing advice to take frequent breaks while practicing. And triple-tounging as a warm-up? I get tired thinking about it!

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Why overstress your lip muscles? They are just like almost any muscle in the body and when they get tired they either give up or quiver.

I hate to admit this, but, I have become infamous in the various concert bands that I have and still do play with. Part of my warmup is Arbans Var. ll of the Carnival of Venice. I have no rationale for this,but, for me it just seems to work.

OLDLOU>>

9. crh

crh New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    You might want to take a look at the Caruso routine.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am with Breke on that one. Then follow the rule that many great trumpeters give: rest as much as you play.