How to install Trigger{Bach}

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yea never ever try anything! There is always someone that knows how to do it. I guess the pros never learned how they were just born doing. I'm glad that I learned the hard way and nobody ever told me that I'll just screw it up if I try to do it my self, because over the years everything that I have put my mind to I have accomplished and became proficient. I say go for it but ask for help some where other than here unless the only advice you want is let someone else do it.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Send it to a tech.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I'll bite--the first step will be to modify the trigger yoke so it will fit the horn you want to install it on. It is unlikely that the diameter of the valve casing of the horn you want to install it on will match the diameter of the Strad casing, and the fit must be precise. Next you will need to modify the attachment post to fit the first valve slide--once again the fit must be precise. Test fit the rod that connects the trigger to the slide attachment and modify it accordingly--again it has to be that precise fit. The rest is easy--silver solder the yoke to the valve casing and the attachment post to the slide keeping in mind that the alignment must be precise so the trigger mechanism will function smoothly. At this point you will want to fix any lacquer or plating that has been compromised by the soldering process. Install the trigger, spring, and connection rod and you're finished.

And now for the caveat--I have a pencil torch, silver solder, flux and know how to use them. I even have clamps that you will hold in things in place when working on the trigger mechanism. I have access to machines to produce precision curves and angles and know how to use them too. I even have the ability to fix damaged silver plating and know how to spot lacquer and make it look right. But when I have had a trigger installed I took it to a pro. I could have done it, but for a hundred bucks why put myself through that aggravation. Just sayin'.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't like triggers. They work by tension and I don't want ANY additional tension anywhere near the horn or me. A tech screwed up my Bach C trumpet years ago by putting new springs on the spit key. The horn didn't play well until he changed the spring!

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Never even thought of that.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Everything effects everything. Add something the horn wasn't designed for and it is a crap shoot. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.
    I've tried tweaks in the past. All of them did add something, but all of them took away some of the aspects of the horn I liked. The horn always went back to the way it was.
    There is the old story that when Mendez signed with Olds, they made him a copy of his beloved Besson. When he first played it, he did not like it at all and said it was basically awful. When an Old technician compared the valves on Mendez's old, tired Besson, he found the valves leaked and were quite sloppy. When he compensated for this wear on the new Mendez model, Mendez loved it. Mendez always played the Olds in public, but recorded everything with his old, worn Besson.

Rich T.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    wrong.

I responded in haste, as I was coming back to the thread. But this has been answered by others. These kits are not interchangeable, and require a lot of adjusting to get correct if you have never done it before. Selmer, Getzen, King, Olds and Bach are all different. The likelihood of a Bach Strad kit fitting a Yammie - Remote.

Go to a tech

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Anything can be modified to fit or work with anything. In the US Navy I was taught to adapt and overcome not give up cause it ain't supposed work. Imagine how many ships would have sank and how many more troops would die if we all just said "wrong". I grew up in a family of shade tree mechanics and we made tools and engineered parts to work. With a file, caliper, torch or as we called it a lamp you can make anything and make anything work.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Although after reading Rowuks post I would just buy a horn with a trigger

10. Comet1995

Comet1995 Pianissimo User

Aug 4, 2014
    Liberty MO
    I would strongly suggest to you, if you really want to know how to do work on your horn. Go find an experienced repair tech to apprentice with.