How to learn jazz

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hichez, Mar 9, 2011.

1. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    So our highschool recently started a jazz band for second semester. This is the first year we had a jazz and so everyone is kinda new to playing jazz. What are things I can do to work on improv and stuff. Just want to know what I should add to my practice routine.

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    • Listen to the greats, at least the ones you love.
    • Transcribe licks you hear and like.
    • Don't think too much. Play from within, not from you think other people think you should be thinking about playing.
    • Jamey Aebersold's "Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage" is a great intro to jazz improv.
    • So is this video:
    YouTube - Jeff Stout Soloing Private Lesson

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Look for a local jazz player who can teach. They don't have to play trumpet because jazz improvisation lessons are the same for all instruments. Listen, listen, listen!

4. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    We have a new Trumpet Master member who goes by the name of Willie. He has played Jazz a long time and has a Jazz program to offer. He posted on here about a month back.

Check his method DVd's out.

5. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    This would be awesome but I take lessons for classical trumpet playing. So unless they would be willing to do it for free its not an option.

6. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    I think of improvisation as composition from the hip, and as learning transcribed licks are really important - creating your own voice is also important. One thing that will improve your ear is to turn on the radio and play along. 1) You learn to find the key quickly. 2) You get away from reading changes and hearing melodies in your head and following them.

Worked for me, and it's FREE!

7. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Learn the theory behind jazz, and improvisation etc. and then forget about learning, start to feel it, if you can play the trumpet, and can play in the right chord, you can improvise, to do it well, you have to feel the music.

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    For what it is worth, I find value in spending time noodling around with backing tracks as a way to experiment, try new licks, etc. I use a variety of tracks I found at Backing Tracks (concert keys, of course, but just rename the files appropriately so the transposition is already done for you). You might even consider having your rhythm section throw down a few backing tracks and digitally record them as mp3's (doesn't have to involve fancy gear - some mp3 players have voice record capability...that works well enough). Simple for everyone to stick them on an mp3 player or burn them to CD. If nothing else, start with a simple 12-bar blues progression, stick to the pentatonic scales (minor, major) - not the most complex challenge and very safe approach to knocking out some licks without turning it into a clambake.

Of course, the advice about listening to as much jazz as possible is spot on. I also recommend other genres also, including blues. Don't confine yourself to just trumpet-specific music either. Also, a great piece of advice I heard from Jeff Coffin: jazz should be an expressive conversation - don't try to fill all the time, listen, interact, converse. Very cool advice.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Listen and Hear the results.