How to make a career from music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Playa, Nov 9, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That (sadly) holds true in the premier military bands too. If you want to get promoted, being good is only part of the picture - kissing the right butts is far more important. Trust me on this - I know. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah there's some politics everywhere. But it's probably not as bad as I experienced in that POS terminal company, which incidentally suffered greatly, apparently, from their own policies. They kept with the late-80s technology they had when I left R&D, incidentally a lot of creative people who got burned left also, and they went from holding a majority of the world market to a much smaller part.

I highly recommend the OP check out the opportunities to be a military bandsman.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    These comments are good. For the most part I won't pay my hard earned money to see a show. Really most of those schmucks on stage are related anyway.

4. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010

First off peoples, I actually wouldn't say I have a lot of free time at all during the week. I never watch tv during the week except sometimes during the weekend with friends, but I'm just not a Tv person anyways unless it's a movie or Walking Dead (Love that show! It has zombies!!)

I practice for an hour, do my homework for another hour, then practice again. I'm usually done with all this till late at night. I have 7 A's, and 2 C's but next quarter I aim for better grades in these two classes and really hope I get Dean's List next quarter. I balance the time of practice and studying. If I have a lot of work, I just practice a lot less. I'm not in any campus clubs as of now.

I have a great group of friends. We go to meals together, but I can't just hang around with them all day in my free time. There is usually a study party every night and we meet in one of our dorm rooms. Sometimes I can make it, sometimes I can't. It's easier on the weekend though.

Anyways, lately my health has been crappy. I can hardly play anymore because my asthma has been severe that Ive been to the hospital for it, and now starting treatment, but don't feel like its getting much better right now. I've just been too short of breath lately, my chest is tight and stuff. After dealing with this issue, and knowing the uncertainty of a music career and such, I'll just keep it as my hobby.

I can be really dedicated if there is something I really want. So I'm thinking of concentrating on double majoring in something else non-music related and aiming towards a career in that. As long as I can play and teach later on, I'm glad. I'm def. cutting down my practice time though.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    And I cant do the military, I have bad asthma and flat feet. I'm skinny, but believe me, I sure aint fit! lol

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Playa - I met a guy not long ago who, along with his wife, took up the trumpet. All well and fine, and they play in a community band, but he would get bad headaches from playing the trumpet, so he switched to tuba and no more problems! So, you may consider something that's "lower" brass, the trombone maybe? (The trombone is cool).

7. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010

I love trumpet too much to be a sellout lol. And the two times I tried playing sousaphone, I nearly passed out. Not trying that again!

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ----
    By getting known:
    Go to open mikes.
    Go early to gigs when the band is setting up and introduce yourself.
    Have cards made and ALWAYS have them with you.
    Find the bands in your area and find their web sites and let them know (monthly) if they need any help, just give you a shout.
    Play in churches.
    Have your own music stand with your name on it so people can read who you are.

As for the studying, multitask.
    I use to record my notes from class and the questions from the back of the chapter and listen to it in the car on the way to gigs or the grocery store, etc..
    I would give myself about 5 seconds on the recording to answer the question and then, give the correct answer.
    When you figure how much commuting we do, that can be a lot of quality study time.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Markie is right. He always has some good info. For me, that I made $42 playing 3.5 hours a day for two rainy days proves I could make a living, a "career" in music starting .... Now. Mountain View CA is not a cheap place, but it's not THAT hard to find someone to rent you a room for $20 cash, a day. And in fact less, a guy I know lives in a living room for $250 a month and his land-lady would probably much rather have me in there, since I"m not a slob. Now my playing is mediocre, since I'm so new, and it takes time to find out where the open mics and so on are, and to build up a network of friends and clients. It's hard for me since the place is 3 hours away for me right now. But if I had to, I could do it, start a career in music, after playing only a short while, Now. And if I can, anyone can. We're gonna have some GOOD musicians coming out of the tent cities and shantytowns of the twenty-teens.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    it takes time to find out where the open mics and so on are, and to build up a network of friends and clients.
    ---
    This is where the internet is so helpful. If you type in "open mike" for whatever city, something will usually pop up.
    Also, use key words to do your search. "Jazz clubs" "Blues clubs"
    "Local bands" etc.