How to make new connections?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mr. L-

Since I getting packed and ready to move to NYC in August I am thinking more and more about how to make new connections in the Big Apple (or any new city for that matter). Do you have any suggestions? I've come up with a few things thus far:

-Arrange lessons with the big players to get as many new opinions as possible.
    -Arrange lessons/duet playing with some of the young, upcoming players and ask lots of questions about how they've done it so far.
    -Go to TONS of live concerts with New York Phil and all of the great orchestras that come through Carnegie Hall.

Any other ideas/suggestions? BTW, I'm not just moving there on a whim...I'll be studying at MSM with Mr. Gould this fall for a MM in trumpet.

Thanks for your time!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    PBT,

Very simply, good players get noticed by the things they do.

People notice players that have a good, solid approach in everything they do. they notice versatilty and they notice whether you have a special talent for tone, endurance, or upper register.

When you get noticed you get asked to do more and more. That's how careers start, in a natural way. Your playing will do the talking for you.

ML

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Be socially acceptable.
    Be politically acceptable.
    Be a great player.
    Do not be afraid to sell yourself to others.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Check
    Check
    Check
    uhhh...check??

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Or is it "cheque"? :D

I think that Manny hit it on the head - your playing and your positive attitude are probably going to be the biggest door openers for you, although at some point you have to put yourself in a situation that will get you noticed. Taking lessons from a player who is already well connected is what I would do in your situation, and if you play well enough, your name will come to their minds if a situation arises where another trumpet player is needed, or if they can't do the gig themselves.

Virtually every gig I have gotten has come from knowing someone, or if I was in one playing situation, I got noticed and recommended for other playing based on my performance and attitude.

6. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Connections!

When I was on the road a few years back we were playing the Marriott in Harrisburgh, PA... I knew TOP was coming to town and they happen to be staying at the hotel... I found out Lee Thornburgh's room # from a trusty hotel security gaurd and wrote him a note and slipped it under his door.. I basically described our act (5 trumpets w/ a R&R rythmn section) and invited him down to the club at 9pm to check out our set.. He showed up, we met.. As a result a few of us were able to go to his show for free..

Before I left the hotel I asked the bar manager to put a case of beer on ice in my bath tub in the event that I could talk him into coming back after and cracking a few! Well, that's exactly what happend.. There were a few more people there but he was more interested in talking shop which was pretty cool!

3 weeks later he called me from Germany and asked me to sub for him for 3 weeks!! The rest is history...

Point being, most of these guys are very approachable and if you are ever in a situation like I was, go for it!!! He heard me and we partied!!! Can't get much better than that...

Hey TrickG(Patrick), I'm coming to Baltimore for some R&R on a friends 54' Sea Ray Yacht the Thursday and Friday before Labor Day weekend... He is also a season ticket holder for the Ravens and they will be playing my team"The Redskins"... First of all, do you know if you'll be playing any public gigs and second of all I'll have my Stage 1 "California" with me and will gladly let you take it for a spin!!!

Lemme Know!

Tony G

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Tony, right now we have a couple of pitches for the 3rd and 4th, but as of yet, neither one is booked. However, I wouldn't be surprised if one of both of them got booked and even if the gig is a private engagement, I think that I could get you in the gig without too much of a problem. :-) As long as I let the bandleader know in advance, you can be our sound tech or lights operator for the evening! :lol:

I'll keep you posted.

8. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I totally agree with Billy B. on being easy to get along with and leave your ego at home. when I was playing around town alot a few years ago several things that opened doors for me were - be willing to play any part asked - blend with the section and don't try to out do any one - only say good things about other players [we all talk to each other and you never know who is friends with who] - be available to play freebies now and then[you have no idea how pay jobs that got me]. good luck old geezer Dave

9. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Dave,

I see you are into motorcycles. Were you at Doc's Destino showing last November?

10. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I didn't know about it until a week after it happened [day late & dollar short]. I love riding the back roads [paved] 35 to 40 mph. I am one of the very few Harley riders that wears a full face helmet. old geezer Dave