How to make new connections?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    New York has an incredible information network. It is almost impossible to be invisible in NYC.
    When Wynton came here, the word quickly got out about the new kid in town. At a concert that he was subbing for me, a leading player in town managed to hear Wynton play the Haydn Concerto. He heard Wynton on the backstage phone :roll:
    Come on down to the FONT concert at Tonic and meet the guys.
    Wilmer

2. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    meeting guys

One thing I would recommend is to take gigs. What I mean is that you will be offered gigs that you aren't sure you should do, because the money is not as good as you would like, or you don't know the other musicians. But if you put yourself out there, you will invariably increase the number of people who hear what you can do.
    One phone call in the eighties I did not make was to a then unknown player named Ray Vega, who met me at Giardinellis trying mouthpieces and wanted me to come and do some latin gigs, but in thosae days that meant a lot of 11PM starts in the Bronx, which was not so safe then. I was already doing what I thought were good gigs, so I figured I would get around to it eventually, but I wasn't gonna run after it.
    Boy, talk about missed opportunities. The guys who were on those gigs are doing some of the best gigs in town, and Ray is an international Jazz artist.