How to make the most out of my summer?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RB-R37297, Jun 2, 2009.

1. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I really want to make the most out of this coming summer - I'd like to build up my air and build up my face and work on my tuning. Here are a few of my goals. Just for reference, I'll be going into Grade 12 next year:

1) I want to convince my parents to shell out part of the money for a pro horn (Any convincing arguments, by the way? I'm really seriously considering going into music education.). I'm on a student Getzen I've been playing since Grade 7 and it's just not cutting it anymore.

2) I want to really beef up my flexibility and range especially. At present, I can semi-consistently nail some stuff just above high C (depending on the day, anywhere from D to G), but this inconsistency is really bugging me. Some additional flexibility would be nice. I think I have to really work on strengthening my air column, but does anyone have any suggested exercises that will generally help with flexibility and range?

3) I've been running into some endurance problems as of late, and I paid special attention to letting the face relax as much as possible and letting the air do the work in Grade 10. Any strategies to combat fatigue?

4) I want to become more fluent in all of my keys and also become a better improviser in jazz. Any general tips for this?

5) In short, how can I make the most out of this summer so that I improve as much as I can?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    long tones, slurs, Clarke, scales, easy tunes (like a hymnbook or fake book) all played very softly for a couple hours a day will accomplish all of the above, but you knew that already.

So now for the magic part!
    long tones, slurs, Clarke, scales, easy tunes (like a hymnbook or fake book) all played very softly for a couple hours a day AND long tones, slurs, Clarke, scales, easy tunes (like a hymnbook or fake book) all played very softly for a couple hours a day. Do not beat yourself up - keep the volume DOWN and you will consistently build.

Add some swimming, don't forget to reward yourself for reached goals.

Anything else would require a one on one lesson.

As far as the pro horn goes, your music teacher could talk to the parents and let them know how hard you are working and that a pro horn would be really beneficial. If you haven't convinced them by now, some unknown internet forum wont either. You need local help.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Part of the money must mean that you yourself can
    pay a part of it, too.

Remind them that when you get your new horn,
    money will be coming in when you sell your old one.
    That way they arenĀ“t really paying anything!
    That will be a money related argument that
    no parent can guard himself/herself from!!

:thumbsup:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mouthpiece buzzing is great for both; matching pitches and predicting intervals can be sppeded up using even the simplest and cheapest of keyboards--avoid your tuner as much as possible, and use your ears.
    I assume it is a Getzen 300 series, and an upgrade may be in order, but consider that in another year you'll have a new teacher with their own ideas and reccomendations about which trumpet to buy. Upgrading now might prevent upgrading later.
    Flexibility has to do with getting from one note to another quickly, and is not limited to lip slurs. If you are thinking of music ed., then you can work on your invervals (bcbcbcbcb,bc#bc#bc#bc#b... in all permutations, slured and tongued.) For range, the key to the "Double High C (forbidden phrase on TM! :)) in 37 Weeks" book is as follows, in solfege, holding the last note: (ascending) do mi...do mi sol... do mi sol do... (then descending) do sol... do sol mi... do sol mi do.... Advance chromatically, when possible do over two or three octaves. WARNING! Avoid the famed trumpeter trap of practicing for range only. Nasty things happen(ed) to those who choose(chose) this route!

The best way I know of to handle three hour gigs is to practice at least three hours each off day. No shortcuts! Ednurance comes from many repitions at a light weight over a long period of time.

Clarke third study, slurred and tongued. When you have that down, then other scales: all three minors, whole tone; modes.
    Listen to great recordings of all genre that include trumpet. Swim, hike, read good books, actually look and listen to the world around you--the form of the architecture, the rhythm of the city or the song of birds, stuff old folk say that they think important. Practice.

Go on some dates, too.

Have fun!

5. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    just get a part time job , from what i have seen $400 to $1200 will get you a nice horn , hey maybe your folks will go half with you .

be sure to check your local craigslist .:play:

HOME

might try other ways to increase lung capacity, swimming , biking, any exercise

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    1) I want to convince my parents to shell out part of the money for a pro horn (Any convincing arguments, by the way? I'm really seriously considering going into music education.). I'm on a student Getzen I've been playing since Grade 7 and it's just not cutting it anymore.

Find the person your parents would least like you to go out with or spend time with. Tell them you've plateaued on trumpet because of the limitations of the horn.
    Say " besides I really think that I'd prefer to hang out with '(deadbeat)"
    Start dressing like a goth and watch the movie the Crow repeatedly.
    Tell them you want a pet rat as, due to your musical void, you are going to have to rediscover yourself.
    They'll buckle in the end:thumbsup:
    True story:When I was about 16 I was keen on a girl who my parents thought was 'trouble'. I got sent to Jazz Camps and anything to get me out of town. They ended up being right and it sure helped my playing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Long tones, slurs, Clarke, scales, easy tunes (like a hymnbook or fake book) all played very softly for a couple hours a day - forget the trumpet change - you haven't reached anywhere near the limits of the one you have - it's not the hardware.

(I hope my new trumpet is ready this week though.) :roll:

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Get a job. Jog to work. Practice trumpet on breaks!