How to make your own way?

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by dnlrsnbm, Oct 9, 2005.

1. dnlrsnbm

dnlrsnbm New Friend

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Everyone,
    My name is Daniel Rosenboom. I haven't posted anything here before because I wanted to think of something really valuable to talk about. For those of you who don't know me, which is probably most of you, I'm a soloist, free-lancer, teacher, bandmate, composer, student, poet, etc...I do a lot of different stuff. And my main focus in music is stuff where I'm involved in the creative process (be that improvising, composing, or comissioning). Currently, I'm working on my debut solo album (mixing and mastering phase now) which will be coming out late this year or early next year. It has a wide variety of musical styles represented, from metal to hip-hop to contemporary solo trumpet music, to noise. More about that when I finish it...

Anyway, the question I want to throw out there to everyone, whether you're into this kind of thing or not, is how does one make their own way as a musician, when your focus is something for which there is no "job"? I think the music I'm doing has definite potential for success, both musical and financial, but I'm a little confused about how to get my name out there and how to attract attention to what I'm doing. So anyone who has any ideas about how to get your stuff out there, please let us all know...

Sincerely,
    Dan Rosenboom
    www.danielrosenboom.com
    www.plotzmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/thebloodiermeanson

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Dan,

Since we talk about this often I'll sit back and read responses before adding my $.02

With interest,
    EC

(welcome to TM and keep posting!)

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dan, I would say that the #1 thing you need to do if you want to be financially successful doing what you are doing, is you need exposure so that the right people who can help you can see and hear what you are doing, and you need to find a way to market it to the people who would pay to hear it.

I know it sounds a little simplistic, but even music falls within the laws of supply and demand - if there is no demand, there is no need for the "supply" of the music you create.

4. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Dan!
    I don't know the real answer to this question, I'm dealing with this question my self...I just wanted to say that Ed played me some of your album last night...AND WHOA! :D :D That stuff is really cool. I'm excited to hear the finished product.
    Take Care,
    Mike

5. dnlrsnbm

dnlrsnbm New Friend

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Mike,

Weigh in on the subject as you develop your project, please. Most everyone knows your sensitivity and your musical passion from your posts here and elsewhere.

Watching with interest,
    EC

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    THAT, my friend, is the million dollar question! :D As silly as this is going to sound, I think you have to know someone, or at least know someone who knows someone.

To give you an example of this, I'm not sure how Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson got their starts, but their little sisters, Jamie Lynn Spears, and Ashley Simpson got their starts because they knew someone - in their cases it was their older sisters.

Nicholas Cage, or should I say Nicholas Copola, whether he wants to admit it or not, got his start because he's the nephew of Francis Ford Copola. Harrison Ford got his start because he did some carpentry work in the home studio of someone in the business. The list of celebs that are in the business because they either knew someone, or are related to someone is quite long. To name just a few:

Ashley Judd (Daughter of Naomi, sister to Wynonna)
    Liza Minelli (Daughter of Judy Garland)
    Carrie Fisher (Daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher)
    Drew Barrymore (The whole freaking family were Hollywood!)
    The Baldwin Brothers (Who started first?)
    Jacob Dylan (Son of Bob Dylan)
    Tim McGraw (Son of Major league pitcher Tug McGraw)
    Eagles (They were the backing band for Linda Ronstadt)
    Jacob Marley (Son of Bob Marley)
    Jim Belushi (Brother of John Belushi)
    Jeff Porcaro (Drummer for Toto and countless other sessions - son of jazz drummer Joe Porcaro)

That's just the quick list off of the top of my head - they had aspirations of their own, knew someone in the business that could give them a boost, and that was that.

That's the kind of exposure you need - you need someone to put in a good word for you so that your material moves to the top of the heap and garners some attention as much because of who you are as it does for what it is. Now, if I knew who these folks were, you'd see my face on TV and in the movies all of the time! :lol:

8. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I wanted to, with Ed's permission, just add a little bit to this and realize that these are not tested and true in my world, but things I have been "meditating" on for over a year.
    I have friends on both of these sites who know my own personal frustration with the business of music and my relative lack of success within the industry. And a combination of people, like Ed, have been urging me to pave my own path, to build my own career, and take charge of my own destiny...And it sounds great and powerful. But I wasn't sure how to find my own voice, enough of a voice on my own, to do my own unique thing...what was I going to build?
    Frankly, I love playing in an orchestra...I do. I get a high off the music (I don't literally go out and get high...you understand right?) and in performing within such a lush body of musicians, with a repertoire that is so extensive that all the great works cannot be played within one career.
    However, I'm not convinced that there will always be a place for me in one of these orchestras, I'm not convinced that I want to continue this path of learning and relearning Petrouchka for auditions over the next 20 years.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the music, and I love playing the music, but the art of practicing this 30 second bit and then that 30 second bit, is starting to drain me. Between my job (and doing all the work and practice to do my job well), doing side things to make sure that I can pay my bills on time (not to mention spending money to take auditions), and preparing for these auditions...I'm drained. Drained enough where I don't do so many recitals anymore, or drained enough that I don't put enough energy into projects that will expand my horizons as a musician...and I'm sure as a trumpet player....
    So paving my own path, I haven't been able to see my future...That is until last night. Last night was an awakening for me. Last night I heard trumpet players creating, producing, and performing ART! (Hey Danny R, your stuff really inspired me...Thanks.) These people were making music on their own terms. They were producing music that reflected their likes and dislikes. Music that in no way could be packaged as Jazz, Classical, etc.
    In Dan's case I heard a three movement piece that continued the vision (hell, probably even progressed the vision) of Dream Theatre. He was able to lay his trumpet over this un real heavy metal band that was playing really hard stuff in a very impassioned yet very precise way.
    So after hearing this, there are two questions:
    1) Is this art? Yeah...This is music that has a message, that speaks to an audience, and has REAL selling possibility. Yet there is NOTHING poppish about it. There is nothing SELLING OUT about this recording. This music is challenging the listener not cow towing to them. This is real music.
    2) Will it sell? YEAH! I think it will. I really do. I remember my self through high school and college being angry and angst ridden and this dark, heavy stuff from metal bands really spoke to me at the time. These people do exist and when they hear this stuff and the message behind it, it will speak to them as well...it spoke to me although I didn't always identify with it.
    In terms of marketing, meeting the right people, etc. I don't know. I simply am not there yet.
    But hearing Rosenboom's project (and three other projects that Ed shared with me), helped me see my future. The project that I have been looking for...for over three years. And I'm going to aggressively work on it as these other guys have been doing...and be asking the same questions that Dan is asking now.
    Hey Dan, keep it up! I believe in you, you should too. I'll be the first one in line to buy the album and to hand it around to people so they can feel as inspired as I did...and when you get where you hope to be going...Help me out man, and tell me how you did it! :bleah:

Mike Z.

BTW. I know my post was long, and probably touched a raw nerve with some people...I'm apologize to those people. I'm struggling just like everybody else is with my own demons, I'm just trying to work it out while everybody watches...in horror. :twisted:

9. dnlrsnbm

dnlrsnbm New Friend

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for your thoughtful responses and Mike, thanks for your kind words, man. I believe in you too, and believe it or not, you've been a big inspiration to me as well. To extend this thread a little, let me just ask another general question. Are there a lot of trumpet players out there who want to hear new stuff? Or is the majority content to listen to the same repertoire that has cannonized itself in our tradition? It seems to me that when I tell other trumpet player that I'm trying to make my own way with new and adventurous music, they sort of look at me like I'm crazy. It's not news to anyone that I am crazy, but I'm wondering who out there shares my passion for seeking out and creating new art, and new music for the trumpet?

Dan Rosenboom
    www.danielrosenboom.com
    www.plotzmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/thebloodiermeanson

10. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Dan,
    Why can't we have both? Why can't we seek new music, expand the art form, and admire the past as it is as it was?
    The thing that I like about your recording the unlimitied possibilites of it the most is this: The group that you form to play this music is your group, with your music, with your vision. Sort of like hearing Beethoven play his own Piano Sonate. Pretty cool.

Mike