How to motivate a young male trumpet student.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by paultandberg, Dec 13, 2012.

1. paultandberg

paultandberg New Friend

Nov 25, 2006
    Bring him to a Tine Thing Helseth concert. Failing that, find a nice large monitor, some good speakers, and line him up with some YouTube links, like this one:

In the Bleak Midwinter - YouTube

or this one: Tine Thing Helseth: Haydn Trumpet Concerto, 3rd mvt - YouTube

We brought young son Gus to a Tine Thing Helseth concert and following day workshop when she came to Grand Forks, and he has been playing non-stop (and checking out air fare rates to Norway) ever since.

During the workshop, Tine used Gus as a prop for her breathing demonstration, and when she put her hands on his rib cage, he turned about six shades of red, and then broke out into one of the biggest smiles I have ever seen on the kid.

Gus got an autographed CD. So did I. Probably didn’t need two, but, wow, she is so cute and personable. And she plays so sweetly and effortlessly.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I bet everyone else turned six shades of green from envy.

3. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Your son will remember that as long as he lives and good motivation is better than no motivation at all.

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    You don't. He has to motivate himself. Give him every reason to be motivated and if he isn't, it's not the right "thing," you know what I mean?

5. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Any way somebody could get Tine to put her hands on MY rib cage?? Seriously, Paul--congratulations to your son, and I wish him many years of happy playing!!!!:-)

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'd say that is definitely some way to motivate a young male student. Probably applies to middle-aged ones as well...
    If that fades a little, you can try Alison Balsom :-)

7. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Alison can put her hands around my rib cage, too--my local repair tech actually met her. A few months ago, I posted a picture here on TM of Alison and him backstage at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia. Some guys have all the luck, I guess....

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Duhh... It doesn't take a math major to figure this one out:

1 Cute Blonde + 1 American Boy = Major Motivation

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'll say! Good scrip, Doc!:roll::lol::oops:

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Any male, regardless of age ... but whether the motivation is music or not is subject to interpretation.