How to motivate high school trumpet players?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CaptainAddy, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Your request for ideas has brought out some very intelligent responses.

After more than fifty years in teaching brass instruments, I have recognized the current difficulty in inspiring students to work towards a goal. I am currently doing clinics with bands from across the United States and one issue which continues to surface is this- “The motivated students most often have motivated directors and the unmotivated students most often have unmotivated directors”. Sometimes this instilment of motivation will take a long time, especially if the previous director was unmotivated but a motivated director will eventually win out. Also unfortunately the motivated directors realize that they are dealing with a thankless, low paying and sometimes unsupportive environment.

Your request for ideas indicates that you are one of the good guys and for that we all thank you for your efforts. The best advice I have read came from Patrick Gleason which was the first response to you request –
    1.) Incentive
    2.) competition

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I second Bransons comment,

Although many have given fantastic perspectives. Everyone brings a different personal experience to the table here. Myself, I grew up during the original Star Wars Saga films and was facinated with the opening theme song. I started playing trumpet in fourth grade way back in the early 80's and I would hold long steady notes for days and days listening and trying to mimic the sound of the trumpets playing until finally. I developed a pretty good sound. When I got to Jr High School (middle school), the band instructor introduced us with the names of many trumpet greats, like Al Hirt, Doc Severinsen, and such. He took our entire band to see the Marine Corp Band play a tribute to Leroy Andersons compositions playing, "Buglers Holiday", and "Trumpeters Lulleby" just to name a few. Wow, the was a lifelong impression he blessed us with and to this day, many of us who played then still talk about it.

I praise your committment to these young kids and I pray you can find a way to inspire them. Always use positive re-enforcement and instill in them a dedication. Oh, one more bit of advice. I remember I would record myself (cassete tape ROFL) playing a first or second part of a song, and then I would rewind and play vise-versa, first or second part. Hearing yourself on a recording will either push you to sound better or scare you away from playing. LOL:play: Lets hope its the first...:thumbsup:

Good luck,

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I'm a high school trumpet player and what inspires me is watching players better than myself.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I would say that you are probably an exception though because you take enough interest in it to be here on TM. How many players do you know who wouldn't actively seek out a site like this?

The tough part is motivating the kids who are there because their folks want them there, or because they don't have anything better to do, or because they think it's a cake-walk grade.

Something else that helps to motivate the group as a whole is to find the one or two players who are liked and respected by everyone (and not necessarily the best players in the section) and get their buy-in to what you are presenting. If you can do that, then the rest will usually follow right along.

5. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    As someone who has done musical arrangements, you quickly learn that all the parts in the Band are important (Yes, even the 2nd Clarinets), and that no instrument section deserves to be belittled.

The students themselves will do enough ragging on other sections on their own. They don't need to see the "adults" with the program doing it as well.