How to not annoy people when warming up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tobias014, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Tobias014

Tobias014 New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    When I warm up I like to play scales through my entire range up to G above high C. I also typically play some quick lip slurs and lip trills as well as multiple tonguing chromatics. This tends to annoy other in my section and I get accused of showing off a lot. I don't want to piss people off but I don't feel completely ready to play without doing this.

Should I try and find a new way of warming up or should tell my section mates to shut up and deal with it?

2. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Do what works for you to play your best on the gig (within reason). If it really bothers others in your section, perhaps you can find a bathroom or side room to do it. If it still bothers them, then it's not about anything other then them wanting to give you a hard time-ignore them in that case.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You could try using a practice mute, or warm up before you arrive at your band/orchestra/gig venue. Do some mouthpiece buzzing in the car (or bus) on the way there. Add more quiet, long tones to your warmup routine as well perhaps (if that works for you - and it may).

By the way, when I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant how do you avoid annoying people who are trying to warm up!

--bumblebee

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Can you go through your routine at home and then maybe just do some playing to rewarm the horn?

5. Tobias014

Tobias014 New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    I probably should have mentioned this in my OP but I'm not a professional playing gigs. I'm a 17 year old student playing in school ensembles as well as a youth symphony.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I think many of the suggestions you've received so far are still perfectly applicable to your situation (see the excellent response in #3, for example).

You suggested another option might be to "tell your section mates to shut up and deal with it" -- that's not exactly my style, since making music with friends sounds better than making discord with antagonists.

--bumblebee

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pointing away from others is a good idea. Also good is to do your routine (if you have one) at home. A lot of times warm-ups entail some pretty good chops building.

Realistically speaking, the warm up can be just a note or two and/or a bit of doodling. Keep the routine at home.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I agree it sounds suspiciously like practicing, and there isn't anything more annoying than an individual trying to practice their chops at a group rehearsal. Besides, what are you going to do at a performance? Your routine needs to be a practice for the performance.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I warmup in the car/truck on the way to play. I've come to realize what some have said about it sounding like practice. I do think they are most annoyed with your high G though! LOL!!! The guy next to me warms up on site and it sounds bad. I will occasionally run through 2/3 octave scales if he is really obnoxious up to high G or A depending on how annoyed I am! :-P:-P:-PROFLROFLROFL

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    This kind of reminds me of a local amateur orchestra. It is the most bizarre thing. They show up like half an hour early, and all the players start noodling(except the trumpets thankfully). :dontknow: Its like, now that we have all heard the melody chopped up and played in different parts, lets listen to them play together. The really shocking things is during intermission, they go back to noodling. :shock: I mean shouldn't they be warmed up by then. I understand they are playing in a church and don't have a practice room, but really, playing during intermission?