How to not annoy people when warming up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tobias014, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All I can say is that there are extreme environmental conditions that alter the tuning of our brass instruments and at some moment, somehow, at sometime you'll have to adjust your slides to compensate if the stage is an abrupt change. Then too, this can't be done in the instant like a "light switch". No indeed, you wouldn't want to hear my solo 5 minutes after I arrived with my trumpet having driven 100 miles through freezing clime, my trumpet in the vehicle trunk/boot. The term "warm up" didn't come into being by the conjure act of a magician. If I can make a quick pass of a chromatic scale, I'll know about as much about the tuning lubrication of my valves and slides as I'll ever know. How well I know the music is another issue.

2. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I've noticed that sometimes it bothers others when you're doing something that isn't their routine. Then again, I am an amateur...

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    LOL...
    We had one kid (college freshman aged) subbing in on the 3rd book over the summer in the big band... every "warmup" to him was an Arban Characteristic Study recital. (he seemed to be working on #1)

It had nothing to do with warming up... he would do it AFTER the rehearsal too. It was completely "look at me" rather than a warm up and down.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I hear say that the length of one's warm-up is inversely proportional to the length of one's....never mind.

5. Tobias014

Tobias014 New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    I just want to clarify, I'm not doing some super long 15 minute warm up and I never play out of turn. My warm up is quick 5 minute thing before my band director starts class.

My warm up includes:
    Descending chromatic half notes starting on a G in the staff and ending on low F#
    A few 2 octave scales in different keys
    Some basic lip slurs and lip trills (nothing fancy)
    A multiple tongued chromatic scale from low F# to high C

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Your initial post reads:
    When I warm up I like to play scales through my entire range up to G above high C. I also typically play some quick lip slurs and lip trills as well as multiple tonguing chromatics. This tends to annoy other in my section and I get accused of showing off a lot. I don't want to piss people off but I don't feel completely ready to play without doing this.

Should I try and find a new way of warming up or should tell my section mates to shut up and deal with it?

Why am I confused?

7. Tobias014

Tobias014 New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    You shouldn't be confused. Nothing I typed contradicted my original post.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I am now out of this loop.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    For a while I shared a desk with a lead who had an ott 15 minute "show you who's boss" warm up routine.

Without fail, two-thirds of the way through the concert, his lip would go and I'd get the nudge in the ribs to take over the solo line. Ironic or what!!