how to pick a music school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by momma_horn, Jan 29, 2011.

1. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Here's my advice as a band director....

1. Have her pick from three levels of schools to apply to and audition at. Pick a dream school, a realistic school, and a back-up school.

2. Have her major in performance and then do a fifth year master's in music education. By doing that, she gets another semester of lessons and will leave school with a master's degree. Here in Alabama, that means you start out making $41,000 instead of $36,000. Besides, most undergrad music ed programs stretch out to five years anyway.

trickg likes this.
  2. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    The real value of the music school is the relationships that you form with other musicians. Most, if not all, of the normal schools with music performance degrees, will have an excellent trumpet teacher or there will be one nearby.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In Ithaca NY is Ithaca College. It has a marvelous music school. Great trumpet staff and diverse programming.

4. momma_horn

momma_horn Pianissimo User

May 8, 2010
    Thank you. As usual, logical, sound advice! It's all appreciated.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I like this bit of advice, although again, if the dream schools aren't financially viable, then it's not going to make much sense to try for them unless your daughter is fantastic and the school will help with expenses because of that.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I like the idea of a dream school.
    If she gets in and can't afford it;
    The school might help and she will have an idea how she stacks up against other players. If she doesn't get in, maybe that's an indication too.

7. momma_horn

momma_horn Pianissimo User

May 8, 2010
    I liked that advice as well. Like the kid said, you don't know unless you try. And there are a LOT of schools that arent' going to be easily affordable....we're hoping to find plenty of scholarship money somewhere.

Whadda I know? As in our search for a new horn, I intend to leave no stone unturned! <3

I am not opposed to State Schools in the least. The only problem I see there is the lack of Marching Bands...but seriously, if you are doing a double major, is there even TIME for marching band?

8. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Regarding expensive schools, you may find that it's actually easier to get NEED based financial aid at a more expensive school. The financial aid department will determine what your annual contribution should be and you will have to cover that through out-of-pocket money or loans. Beyond that, you may be eligible for scholarships or grants based on merit or financial need.

Depending on the school, marching band may be a requirement for a music ed degree. I received my undergrad from a school that only required one year of it for an ed degree (most of the performance majors didn't march) and my master's from a school without a marching band. Other schools in the state (traditionally teachers' colleges where the music program grew out of the marching band) required four years of it.

The time requirements vary. We practiced 1.5 hours a day, a sectional every Thursday night from 9-10:30 pm, and then most of Saturday was band related. We also did a pregame show plus three different shows during the fall. This was a large college band with around 300 members. We also had Wind Ensemble rehearsal for 65 minutes daily. There are other programs that practice two or three days a week. It's all in what you want to be a part of.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    One of my friends that I mentioned earlier who is a double major is also in marching band, so yes, it is possible, but it would take a lot of work.

10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'd say it all depends on your kid. If she's motivated, she'll float to the top and be successful at just about any school. Of course you want to pick a school that offers alot of options. I personally have tried to steer my kids to Big Ten or Big Ten-like schools. As much as we all think our kids have this perfect plan for the future, they don't. Once they're exposed to the big schools who knows what might actually interest them. If they're at a big university chances are no matter what they choose it'll be pretty good. And I think most have big marching programs.