How to pick mputhpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jul 22, 2011.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi I have a problem -I change back and forth through my approx. 20 different mouthpieces

I know I am harming my embouchure

But how to pick the right one? How will I kow that particular mpc is the right one

what should I look for?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Just pick one and throw the others in the fridge....or put them on ebay.

I would keep a middle of the road design that feel comfy (on other words, whatever works for you).

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree that switching between 20 mouthpieces is a problem.

Like Nick, I think you should pick just one mouthpiece (your current favorite perhaps) and make that the ONLY mouthpiece you use. Try that for the next 6 months and then ask yourself if there is anything different that you're looking for that is difficult to achieve with the current setup (brighter tone, more flexibility, etc). This will take a lot of patience and discipline.

Once you determine what's missing, DON'T SWITCH! Take a few more weeks and try to get what you want out of that same mouthpiece. If there is still something missing, then you can start making small changes, but try to pick one mouthpiece as a point of reference to return to.

For me it's a regular old Bach 3C. If I ever ran into a situation where something drastic went wrong or I stopped playing for a long time and came back, I'd start with the 3C because it was my primary mouthpiece for almost 20 years.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    20 yrs ago when I was in college I played a 1-1/2C, but now 5 months into a comeback I feel more comfy on a 5C than the 1-1/2. If I owned a 3C that is probably what I'd be using, but the 5C came with a horn in a trade.

Playing lead I used to play a 13A4A with a 24 throat... but on my return now I am finding that to be tighter than I remember... so I am looking for a new piece to try, such as a 13A4or maybe a bigger cup. I hesitate to get started down the mpc game though!

There are too many mpc manufacturers with too many different numbering schemes and there are too many variables (rim, cup depth, cup shape, throat, backbore, shank taper). Did I mention the whole "gap" business on top!? It is a complicated thing.
    You could have 10000 mpcs and they could all be different. My whole previous tpt life I only played 2 mpcs (one "legit" and one "lead") and hope to do the same now.

For now I am not good enough that it makes much difference, but getting better every week.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    To have the best chance of playing the appropriate mouthpiece for your particular needs and requirements, you need to be taking lessons with an qualified trumpet teacher, and that person can guide the selection of the mouthpiece.

That may not be the answer you want to hear, but it is the best and perhaps the only real answer to the question. The above quote is only one of the reasons why you need professional guidance.

Vincent Bach once was credited with saying that the choice of mouthpiece is much more complex than the choice of instrument. After about 45 years of playing the trumpet, I have found that statement by Bach to be true, and therefore believe that this is a matter that is not best left to a "do it yourself" solution. If you are a serious student of the trumpet, you need professional guidance.

Otherwise, you can spend your entire life and thousands of dollars getting nowhere.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Also, go over to the Mouthpiece forum (where this thread probably belongs) and read the Jens Lindemann sticky at the beginning of the forum.

That is one of the overall best summaries of the mouthpiece "situation" I have ever seen and every trumpet player should read it and give the content a lot of serious thought.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Oh I intend to... but am working on building back a foundation so that I can play. For now I am playing loads of Stamp, Clarke, Irons, and the 1st 1/4-inch of the Arban + long tones. It comes back pretty fast, but the curve of diminishing returns looms large on the horizon.

I think in the fall I will be ready for a few lessons. No worries...

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This is what we call the "mouthpiece safari". I started on a 7C 55 years ago. I have more than 20 mouthpieces now - from huge to tiny to double-cup. None work any better than my original 7C. There are some that make a different tone in some of my trumpets, cornets or flugelhorn, but none that really stand out as the ultimate answer. So the above advice is really the best way to go.

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The problem with asking about mouthpiece or horn advice on a forum, is that what works for the individual poster, may not work for you. If picking one mouthpiece out of twenty and playing it, doesn't work for you, then get some professional advice.

There are plenty of mouthpiece manufacturers out there, speak to them. Stork Custom at New Page 1 has a library of images of lips and recommended size rims. Better yet, speak to them or any of the others.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    pick a Bach 3C and Freeze the rest in a freezer bag full of water --that way you will have a little while to think about switching before they thaw out ROFL